Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Trouble Getting 20g Carbs Daily (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=98822)

Pugzilla Mon, Apr-14-03 21:23

Trouble Getting 20g Carbs Daily

I restarted induction on Sunday, as suggested by many (I was on my third week and hadn't lost since the first week and a half). Anyway, I am trying very hard to follow the induction plan to the letter, but I am finding it difficult to reach 20g of carbs, especially eating only 2cups of salad and 1 cup cooked veggies per day. I've tossed in a few olives and a celery stick or two for snacks as well, but still I am only at 15 carbs for the day and I'm full....I really don't want anything more and I don't want to force myself to eat when I'm not hungry.

I'm also including some cheese each day as well, but if I had too much, then my daily calorie intake goes through the roof. (I use fitday.com) The rest of my intake is protein and fat, and I'm eating regular servings (small), but the calories on those add up quick.

It's all kind of confusing, since I have discovered that counting carbs is most important but watching calories is also important.

I have been entering my activities on fitday.com as well, and even with the small increase I've made (more to come soon), it seems you burn a remarkable low number of calories for all but the most strenous, which, by the way, I am not ready for!

Still hanging in there but trying to figure this all out..... :confused:

MsJinx Mon, Apr-14-03 21:42

Today I had two cups (before cooking) zucchini cut small, cooked in a teaspoon or two of olive oil. Also had a spinach salad - much more appealing to me than leaf lettuce, with caesar dressing. Came in at 18 carbs. Oh, I also had 4 oz of dry red wine (2 carbs). :D

It's hard to come in RIGHT at 20!

MsJinx Mon, Apr-14-03 21:44

I realize I shouldn't be drinking but we all have our little rationalizations...

black57 Mon, Apr-14-03 21:55

Wheat germ will pump you up

One serving of wheat germ, 2 tablespoons, equals 4 grams of carbs ( minus fiber ). If I am doing my math correctly 2 1/2 tablespoons should equal 5 grams. Sprinkle that on your salad. You won't even know it was there. :daze:

Have fun,
Black57

FionaC Tue, Apr-15-03 05:22

Hi there

I'd suggest for a moment, ignoring the calorie counting, I know a lot of people do it here but this is not a low calorie diet (we reduce the consumption of food we eat overtime but its not essentially a calorie controlled diet), this is especially true in the induction stage.

If you arn't getting enough calories then you won't lose weight as your body will go into starvation mode. Besides if you eat your veggies and had a balanced food intake - dairy, protein, fact etc then your calorie levels will take care of themselves.....

You are suppose to eat the majority of carbs from veggies but its almost impossible to eat all 20gs from veggies which is where the dairy comes into play, you make the rest up with other foods...

Watching calories I guess is important, but nowhere in Atkins's book do I remember him saying that it was as important as watching carbs ...

You should be aiming for 10x-12x your current body weight in calorie intake btw..... and if you are saying that a bit extra of cheese (which you are to limit to 3-4 oz according to Atkins's book) is throwing you over then I can't see how you are possibly eating enough calories....

To me its far more important to eat 70% fat, 25% protein and 5% carbs ... you need that fat, fat will drive up your calorie intake, if you are eating lower calories then how can you be eating enough fat?

HTH

:D Fiona :D

BarbCA Tue, Apr-15-03 06:34

Remember the number of calories listed for activities is in addition to what you burn on your normal routine. Also remember that exercise increases your metabolism so you burn more.
Keep on plugging!