Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Help.....>.< (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=148469)

misery1001 Wed, Nov-12-03 13:08

Help.....>.<

Why do I still have craving!!!!!!!!!!! I cheated on Sat.... but been very very very very good these few days.... no sweets.... no nothing..... why do I still have craving for sweets!!!!! Can someone please help me............

armywife3 Wed, Nov-12-03 13:09

Can you detail exactly what you have been eating. What did you eat that you considered a cheat and what have you eaten since then?

Porcellino Wed, Nov-12-03 13:14

I probably should have checked if you were male or female before typing this :blush: , but it might be related to your monthly cycle. I can handle most cravings, but when it comes to pms I have the worst time. In fact, I was going to post to ask others how they deal with those kind of cravings because they are really really tough to get through, even if I haven't had any foods to trigger them. Excersise does help, but only to a point.

misery1001 Wed, Nov-12-03 13:46

I kept a record in fityday: http://www.fitday.com/WebFit/Public...wner=misery1001

My period is due late in the month, so I don't think it is the problem........ When I cheated, I ate a piece of chiffon cake with butter icing... then I decide to take a day off.... chuncky claw chowder (not much though), warm chocolate pudding with icecream.... and later I purge it all out... feeling kind of guilty.......................

potatofree Wed, Nov-12-03 14:31

What exactly do you mean you "purge it all out"???

gawdess Wed, Nov-12-03 14:34

Wow it sounds like you should see a doctor if you've been purging.

I know for me a lot of my pre-atkins eating was emotional. I ate because I was bored, or I ate to feel better. I think in order to be successful at this (and in life) you gotta conquer the demons in your mind.

misery1001 Wed, Nov-12-03 15:31

I saw a psych. but he said he couldn't do anything because I am not listed as eating disorder (>2 times per week)... when I mean purge.... i mean vomit....

Colleen1 Wed, Nov-12-03 16:01

Wow. You're not sufficiently sick for a psych. to treat you? Wow. What does that say about the medical system? Geez.

What about a counselor or physhologist, one who does not prescribe meds but just does talk therapy?

Is there any kind of support group that you can join? It would probably be a good thing for you to talk to someone about your purging.

Lisa N Wed, Nov-12-03 16:06

Hi Misery!

I would suggest that you talk to your doctor again about the purging. Even if it is less than 2 times a week, this is harming your body way more than you may realize and you need to find some help in stopping that behavior.
Regarding the cravings...I noticed that you are eating a lot of ham. Check the ingredients list. Many times ham is cured with sugar or has sugar added to it and that may be continuing your cravings.
I'd also like to point out that at 171 cm (that's 5' 7"), you are already at the lower range of a healthy weight for your height. You may also want to speak with your doctor about whether 120 pounds is a realistic weight for your height and bone structure as well.

blueflyer Wed, Nov-12-03 17:54

I'm wondering if you have thought about keeping a life journal and a food journal. Sometimes, when one writes out things and then looks at them later, one can start to see a pattern of triggers.
Next, the food journal would help you be aware of what you have eaten that day as to carb count.
Are your foods correct? NO SUGAR, no flours. What vit-nutrient supplements are you taking?
Have you had any blood work done to check your glucose, your blood lipids, a general chem panel?

potatofree Wed, Nov-12-03 18:27

You poor girl! My first suggestion is find a new doctor. Find some way to get help, before it GETS to the point of harming your health.

The vomiting can be an overwhelming compulsion, driven by guilt. It can damage your body in too many ways to count. Much better, IMO, to keep teh "forbidden" carbs down, and just try over the next day!

If you can't/aren't ready to get help, please, at least try to stop the purging! It won't help. Much better to go through the foods that you eat and try to find the trigger foods. We can help you do that, to get rid of the cravings, if you do your part along with us.

I really feel for you, and am worried about your health and safety. Let us know what we can do to help you along and get your health back.

Sango Thu, Nov-13-03 01:00

Here is another vote for a new doctor. Purging at all is bad news :( You need support.

You may also need to evaluate your goals. You might be at a good weight for your height, and could move into lifetime maintenance, with more variety, and fruit (for the cravings).

If you aren't happy with your body at that weight, perhaps you need to tone up more than just lose pounds. Is your body fat measurement accurate (28%)?

Most of all, don't beat yourself up for falling off plan. And don't purge...just accept the detour and remember that tomorrow is a new day. This is a way of life, and you can't expect to be perfect all of the time. The occasional deviation is not going to harm you in the long run.

Good luck!

misery1001 Thu, Nov-13-03 07:24

Thanks everyone! I have been much better since I saw teh psych. .... and even better when I get to Atkins! I promise that I will try my best to not cheat and also will not purge!!!! Sometimes i would think I am eating because I am bored, and because I love to cook... especially breads and sweets.... so I am around forbidden food all the time ( well... I cook during weekends, so all the time during weekend.....)

Sango.... I don't know about that... i am using Tanta(sp) scale with the body fat..... and I ranges from 28-30% last year, and now i am ranging from 25-28%.... so I guess I lose some body fat? But I am sure is it the most accurate thing in the world, but I do see lots of meat around me..... but I am doing exercise already.... swimming, crunches, push-up and some weight training, 3-4 times per week.....

blueflyer... I am taking Natural Factor's multi-vitamin without iron...... It is hard to take a notepad everywhere I go, but i will try it out!!!

Lisa... I don't know about the ingredient since I bought it from the farmer's market... but I will not eat that for a few days too...... thanks for the advice!!!

Again... Thanks for being that supportive..... the ppl here is much friendlier than some other bb... thanks!!!!

glassgirl Thu, Nov-13-03 08:24

Hi Misery,

I'm in the GTA and I have a history of eating disorders. Sometimes mild and sometimes not!

There is help if you want it. Aside from going to see a psych, you can also access a lot of support and groups at

Sheena's Place, 87 Spadina, Toronto
phone # 416-927-8900

http://www.sheenasplace.org

Sheena's place provides support, thematic 10 week groups on all sorts of issues relating to body image. Unlike a lot of the more 'medical' treatment options, you don't have to be on the verge of starvation to take part.
They are extemely supportive and it's a great place!
I'm taking a self defense class for women through them right now...
They provide support for men and women with any of the range of eating disorders, from anorexia / bulimia / compulsive eating disorders.
You don't have to meet any >2 / wk criteria either.

Check their web site. It is very very informative.
be well,
R.