Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Newbies' Questions (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=110)
-   -   Salad carb count (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=176826)

achiever Sun, Apr-04-04 13:50

Salad carb count

Hello! I'm a newbie on this forum and to the lc way of life. I lost 15lbs. last month and love this plan. However, I have a question that I don't think anyone else has asked. Why do I have to limit my salad (or vegies) to 3 cups a day if the spinach leaves I use only have a few carbs per 4 cups? Can't I eat more salad as long as I'm under my carb limit? I love salad and want to eat more of it, but don't want to thwart my efforts!

Thanks!

PecanPie Sun, Apr-04-04 15:23

Hi - You only have to limit it during induction. I try to get most of my carbs from vegetables.

PecanPie

MyJourney Sun, Apr-04-04 15:29

I dont even think you need to limit it during induction. I think 3 was just a rough estimate and something to make sure people got a minimal amount of veggies in. Remember, other foods like cheese and eggs have some carbs too. If you stay under your carb count and you want to eat more veggies, I dont see why not. I view it as a 3 cup minimum rule.

Blondey63 Sun, Apr-04-04 16:19

Good question..... I was wondering that myself. I will definitely up my veggie intake...love the veggies...so good for you... Welcome to you, sounds like you are doing great!

Marg140 Sun, Apr-04-04 17:17

Hi, welcome to the forum. I'm new too, around the same to loose as you. I wonder the same thing about the salad. I've had 2 salads today, about 2 cups each, plus the cheese, meat, 3 cherry tomatoes, dressing, cucumber etc... I figure if I'm loosing then I must be okay. If you stop loosing, cut back. I hope that doesn't happen to me, I don't know what I'd eat.
Margie

achiever Sun, Apr-04-04 18:08

salad carb count

Thanks to all who answered my question. I'm going to eat more salad!!!

DianaO Mon, Apr-05-04 05:22

On Induction there were days I ate almost 5 cups of salad. Think about it, that isn't really much because you measure it Loosely not packed

teresamay Mon, Apr-05-04 05:32

If you are on induction, the 3 cup rule is more for portion control I believe. The point of induction is to change your eating patterns, and ensure you the best success possible in starting this way of life. Have you read the DANDR (dr.atkins new diet revolution) - he explains the science behind the plan as well. It is good to read, and fully understand the way of life before beginning.

myagenda Mon, Apr-05-04 06:05

yeah I think the 3 cup rule is just a guide line. Some veggies on those two lists would be enough carbs depending on which ones you ate, but if you pick the lower carb ones then adding more should be okay. I mean if you can't have more veggies what are you suppose to eat. I think if you are getting your fat and protein more veggies can't hurt. He does say not to go hungry. I ate more veggies on induction and lost pretty good those 2 weeks. If you are hungry eat.

SLMDezi Mon, Apr-19-04 05:44

Hi There,
I just wanted to say I'm with you I love my salads, I usually have 2 salads a day with all my meals...it hasn't hurt me in the least...my problem I think is in cutting down my portions of meat...heck I can't do everything right away...LOL...oh and if I can help in any way I can please write to me...I'll answer you...also buy a tape measure that helped me big time...I'm losing more inches than I am weight right now..but hey i'll take anything at this point...summer is almost here!!!
Dezi

Lindym Mon, Apr-19-04 23:15

Too many veggies is much better than too few :p