Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Quick Meals & Snacks (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   Psyllium Husk Crackers (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=53249)

babybear Mon, Jul-29-02 09:33

Psyllium Husk Crackers

I found this on another website http://photopics.com/cgi-bin/show-recipe.asp I tried it this morning and it is very tasty believe it or not. I also called GNC to see what the calories and carbs were in the pure psyllium husks were. She told me there was no significant calories or carbs. My guess is some how there is. However the Atkins book does recommend taking this. I also do not know if cooking the husks changes the chemistry of them and changes how they will react in your body. If anyone knows please post and let me know.

Pysllium Husk Crackers

3 heaping teaspoons of pysillium husk powder in a bowl
1 tablespoon olive oil/ I used canola someone else used corn
1.5 tsp salt
1 tsp onion powder
1 cup water

mix psyllium husk powder, olive oil, salt and onion powder in a bowl. Add water 1/2 cup at a time. Stir well and allow to sit for one min between adding water. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Grease a cookie sheet. Once mixture is gloopy pour onto sheet. you can also drop like cookies.
Check after 30 min. A large bubble will have formed, stick a fork in it and pop it. Cook another 10 - 15 min according to the crispness you want it. Becareful it burns very quickly. It actually tasts like a chip.

I also read someone else used a splash of vanilla, 3 pkts of splenda in place of the onion powder and cooked the same. also added 1tsp of cocoa. These variations will have more carbs account for them.

I am thinking I am going to count the whole batch as 1 carb. Any more suggestions would be helpful. Hope you like it.

TTFN
Babybear

dognostril Wed, Sep-03-08 20:42

Something wrong here

I tried this recipe using a regular sized teflon coated cookie sheet with sides to hold the goop and it burned in about 15 minutes and tasted so salty I couldn't even eat one bite. On another website I noticed that the amount of p-husks was 3 tablespoons, not 3 teaspoons so that was probably the problem. My recipe is 3 Tablespoons whole psyllium husks (Sprouts brand), 1 Tablespoon organic olive oil, 1teaspoon Baleine fine sea salt, 1Tablespoon McCormick California style Onion powder, and 2 and one half cup water. Wisk all together at once and let sit 5 to 10 minutes, wisk thoroughly again and pour into a greased (with butter) cookie sheet with sides. Bake at 350 degrees for 45-50 minutes and then pop the top (it will be puffed up) in about 10 spots and continue to bake. You may have to pop it again after about 10 minutes. Continue to bake until it gets crisp (about 10-15 more minutes). Pretty good. Once this is baked it can be lifted and placed onto a casserole like Mexican chicken with Hatch chilies, sour cream, cumin and mild cheddar, or tuna casserole with onions, mushrooms, sour cream, chopped green or red peppers, and chopped miracle noodles. Enjoy! :yum:

lyzjnqtpy Sat, Nov-22-08 00:39

I am going to give these a try but using co in place of the olive oil.

CValentine Sat, Nov-22-08 00:53

Looks yummy - I'm gonna make this treat for lunch!
Thanks! ~Cheryl

lyzjnqtpy Mon, Nov-24-08 22:30

I have never had pysillum husk. Do u think whole foods has ir?

arlenes Tue, Nov-25-08 17:42

Pysllium Husk Crackers

I tried this recipe tonight but instead of using the onion powder and salt I used 1/2 tsp of garlic salt and it was still too salty. I also tried it with anything that I could find in my house: salsa, cheese, butter, cream cheese, peanut butter, lc apple butter and did not like it with any of them. I might experiment again with trying it sweet.

Good luck

Quote:
Originally Posted by dognostril
I tried this recipe using a regular sized teflon coated cookie sheet with sides to hold the goop and it burned in about 15 minutes and tasted so salty I couldn't even eat one bite. On another website I noticed that the amount of p-husks was 3 tablespoons, not 3 teaspoons so that was probably the problem. My recipe is 3 Tablespoons whole psyllium husks (Sprouts brand), 1 Tablespoon organic olive oil, 1teaspoon Baleine fine sea salt, 1Tablespoon McCormick California style Onion powder, and 2 and one half cup water. Wisk all together at once and let sit 5 to 10 minutes, wisk thoroughly again and pour into a greased (with butter) cookie sheet with sides. Bake at 350 degrees for 45-50 minutes and then pop the top (it will be puffed up) in about 10 spots and continue to bake. You may have to pop it again after about 10 minutes. Continue to bake until it gets crisp (about 10-15 more minutes). Pretty good. Once this is baked it can be lifted and placed onto a casserole like Mexican chicken with Hatch chilies, sour cream, cumin and mild cheddar, or tuna casserole with onions, mushrooms, sour cream, chopped green or red peppers, and chopped miracle noodles. Enjoy! :yum:

lyzjnqtpy Wed, Nov-26-08 00:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by dognostril

Something is way wrong here. This tasted so bad i had 2 spit it out. I am going 2 try babybears recipe with 3 tbl of p-husk.