Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Anyone tell me what may have went wrong? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=142738)

shtrdave Mon, Oct-13-03 19:44

Anyone tell me what may have went wrong?

I started on 9-15-03 at 498lb.
I figured to weigh every 2 weeks.
9-29-03 lost 28lbs. down to 470.
10-13-03 only lost 10lbs. to 460.

I am not sure what happened, my loss went from 14 to 5 lbs per week.
I see a lot of the members only loose 1-3 lbs per week, but i also see that they are not the same size as myself, so i figure my losses should be far greater.

Can anyone help with this or is this just the way it works.

Induction to close to goal weight could be a very long time at this rate, and I am not even sure what my goal is just yet. My doctors want me to do the surgery thing but i thought I would give this a try first.

I have found that exercise is not something a 500lb man is good at or even motivated to do, hoping that will change if I can get to be a sub 400lb man.

Thanks for the input.

Dave

Dstar96920 Mon, Oct-13-03 19:49

Hey Dave! Check out some of the other posts on here about "whooshes". I don't lose at all for weeks, then all of a sudden...whoosh. You probably dropped a lot of water weight that first big loss, now you are dropping the fat! Keep up with your measurements too. I notice those move faster than actual pounds do for me. I would love to see what those results are! Keep up the great work. Isn't it nice to be able to eat, and STILL LOSE WEIGHT! Take Care!

Mossling Mon, Oct-13-03 19:50

Dave,

You've lost 38 pounds in less than a month. Trust me, nothing went wrong. In fact, that looks like a great weight loss to me! Congratulations! Come on over to TDC (Triple Digit Club, for those of us who have to loss 100+ pounds) to meet some great people and get the encouragement and support you deserve.

Jude

NYorker Mon, Oct-13-03 19:52

Everyone seems to lose fast at first, slow or stop around the third/fourth week and then start losing fairly steadily sometime after that. I actually stalled for a whole month after an initial 10 lb loss. Do you feel better, regardless of what the scale says? And besides, 40 pounds in a month is nothing to sneeze at!

Wynter Mon, Oct-13-03 19:53

Hey Dave

Congratulations on doing so wonderfully so far!!! I'm really impressed at your numbers!! 38 lbs in a month is unbelieveable!!!

For my two cents worth, (and I'm sure much more knowledgeable folks'll jump in soon!) I'd say the slow down in weight loss could be quite a few things - and I would absolutely not be worrying about the slow down - you're still losing quite quickly.

1. Your body is just adjusting to losing weight, and taking a bit of a slow down, which is common, normal and to be expected. You're still losing at a *really* fast rate, which will continue to slow more and more as you get lower and lower. In fact, faster isn't better.... *damnit* :)

2. Could be the infamous week 3 slowdown - many people stall to zero in week 3 as their body takes a pause - I know I did, and I also have a fairly significant amount to lose - lost nothing week 3 & 4 I believe, but am back on track. I didn't change anything, just stayed patient with myself.

3. Could be new foods, convenience foods, supplement needs, need to drink more water etc. etc. etc.... :)

4. Have you checked out the Triple Digits Club? It's a great resource for those who have more than 100 lbs to lose.... and really knowledgeable folks who can offer input about weight loss patterns when you have more than 20 or 30 lbs to lose. You can also browse though people's journals - I find they're a great resource for tips and facts on how an individual journey can go.

Good luck with this WOL!!! You're doing amazing, and I'm really impressed!!!

Wynter