Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   How much cheese is enough cheese? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=98076)

Pamlyn Fri, Apr-11-03 02:36

How much cheese is enough cheese?

Just wondering how much cheese you can have a day (staying within your carb. count)
For breakfast I had a cheese omlette, then a cheese stix, 3 pieces of camembert cheese & finally 2 types of cheese in my mock potato casserole.
Does all this matter if I am within my count?

http://www.fitday.com/WebFit/Public...ml?Owner=Pamlyn

Alina Fri, Apr-11-03 02:43

Hi!

For induction it would be too much for sure. OWL - not sure, it's really up to us to decide and observe how legal foods affect us.
I hope you don't mind, but I took a look at your fitday - saw no veggies at all. They are extremely important source of fibre.
Just a little advice since you've put your fitday public.
Take care! :)
A

Pamlyn Fri, Apr-11-03 02:54

Thanks Alina. Veges are in the mock potato casserole (cauliflower) and will be having some zucchini to.
Cheers...Pam

Alina Fri, Apr-11-03 03:22

Great, Pam! Sorry for preaching, I apologize....I guess I'm a veggie-maniac :)
Have a great day!
A

Pamlyn Fri, Apr-11-03 05:23

Not at all. I really appreciate the help. Have read quite a few of your threads and they were all excellent.
:wave:

Alina Fri, Apr-11-03 05:50

OK :)
You are doing great, always nice to see a person with right attitude for this. I remember you were visiting your doctor - hope he or she is supportive, mine is. My goal is to skip beta blockers.

Don't hesitate to post your questions, people here are amazing and patient. When I first came here I could not believe my eyes - the answers were coming so quickly and were so accurate.
Exciting to see your progress!
Cheers!
Alina

whyspers Fri, Apr-11-03 05:55

I seem to slow down when I have cheese. I try to stay away from it for the most part because of that. It may be my imagination just from hearing other people talk about it...but I do seem to do better when I stick with just the meat and veggies (such as the veggies are).

L

LCBarbara Fri, Apr-11-03 07:54

Aktins induction says...

No more than 4 ounces daily. Be careful with cheese if you have mold or yeast sensitivity. :(

FionaC Fri, Apr-11-03 08:11

Hi Pamlyn

It works out to about 85-113g (for those of us who use g's instead of oz's) of cheese per day ....

Your Fitday journal looks great btw! congrats!

Cya

:D Fiona :D

LCBarbara Fri, Apr-11-03 08:58

Metric

FionaC -
Thanks for converting that to grams...I just now noticed that this board is worldwide. Typical egocentric American, huh!?!? :blush: But then again, I was never any good with the metric system in school anyway. :p

stevensond Fri, Apr-11-03 09:52

one pound of cheese has 16 carbs
if you can eat 25 carbs a day you can eat quite a bit of cheese

Joe1950 Fri, Apr-11-03 10:04

Careful with cheese

I was eating cheese like it was a free food. It's not. I didn't go into ketosis or loose anything for two weeks. After only two days with no cheese, the ketostix are turning to turn.

I think I'm going to lay off cheese during induction.

spongebutt Fri, Apr-11-03 10:06

One POUND of cheese? :Puke:

I love cheese, but I don't think I could eat that much in one sitting.

FionaC Fri, Apr-11-03 15:36

Sorry I want to clarify something stevensond has said

Quote:
one pound of cheese has 16 carbs ... if you can eat 25 carbs a day you can eat quite a bit of cheese

Not if you are in Induction where Dr A says no more than 3-4 oz of cheese per day .... and if you are following the plan he says that most of your carbs should come from your 3 cups of veggies each day, even when you go to OWL's you should be eating more carbs from veggies than from cheese....

Atkins is not a licence to go unlimited cheese, as many people here have said cheese will push some people out of ketosis and into a stall. Its a balanced eating system of getting your carbs mostly from veggies/salad, then dairy etc not the other way around.

Sorry if that sounds like preaching, I'm not trying to do that honest .... I just worry when someone says for example "I've got 25gs of carbs to eat today, I could just eat 4 Fantales (they have 6g carbs each btw) and meat (0 carbs) for the day" - its not the way to do Atkins...

*sigh* maybe I could have written that better but honest I'm not trying to be offensive to anyone ..... please take it that way

:D Fiona :D