Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   I missed my period? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=131911)

isleoskye Wed, Aug-20-03 16:51

I missed my period?

Hey I started the atkins diet a couple of weeks ago and am having great success (lost 11 pounds already!) But I'm a bit worried as I have come on for my period, I'm definately not pregnant has anyone else experinced a weird menstrual cycle when doing atkins??

CEE CEE Wed, Aug-20-03 17:32

Yes, only I had an "extra" one.

Natrushka Wed, Aug-20-03 17:38

isleoskye, it's pretty common to have a disrupted cycle when you lose a fair bit of weight - fat cells don't just contain fat, they also contain estrogen, and when it's released it messes up the balance of hormones in your body. You usually go back to a normal cycle once the weight loss slows down.

-Nat

sl74 Wed, Aug-20-03 17:40

i sort of missed two periods...(very light) but i understand this is very normal......... :roll: i think by the 3rd month it gets back on track......

bostongirl Wed, Aug-20-03 18:59

I'd kill to miss one or two - for the last 3 months I've had it for 2-3weeks a month!!!

jun keater Wed, Aug-20-03 19:02

Can't help on this one since I only have 3 periods a year to begin with. :agree:

IwillLose Wed, Aug-20-03 19:56

I havent had my period for 3 months, but I'm not complaining.

cincin11 Wed, Aug-20-03 20:08

My first one during induction was right on time. The next one was 2 weeks late and this last one was right on time.

potatofree Wed, Aug-20-03 21:07

No fair!! I want to miss a few!! <whine> I've no more use for them, and am actually looking forward to menopause... but I'm just 37.

Mine have been pretty much the same since I went lc.

Len's gal Wed, Aug-20-03 21:07

The first 2 months it was about a week late and VERY light. This month, right on time and back in full force :rolleyes: lol.

toeie Thu, Aug-21-03 01:29

Yeah i dunno Atkins is strange like that............i get my period for like 500 weeks at a time and it sucks =( blah!

jun keater Thu, Aug-21-03 04:34

Mine has been only 3 time a year since I was 13 - I am now 42. I have been to several doctors and they say it is just me - all tests have been normal. They are all surprised when I said I have 3 of my very own children and had no trouble getting pregnant.

tholian8 Thu, Aug-21-03 05:07

I skipped one in June and had weeks of spotting instead. July's came on full force with the most horrible cramps ever. I am expecting one next week and judging from the PMS I think it will be right on schedule. Things seem to be straightening out.

Emily

whyspers Thu, Aug-21-03 07:26

I didn't really have any changes, other than becoming more regular and it was normal again (had been very light...almost non-existant one day spotting since my daughter was born) until this past month when I cheated for four days. Three days after, TOM came two weeks early and lasted what seemed forever. Last week, I had another four day cheat (the last one, I promise!) and it happened again! Three days later, TOM came...again two weeks early.

I'm not sure why this is happening and the estrogen thing makes sense, but why would a cheat bring it on? Its so weird!!!!

L

NYorker Thu, Aug-21-03 07:28

Oh man, so glad to find this thread because I was getting ready to ask about this. I've never had normal periods - they were irregular and fairly rare and lasted forever. I always assumed it was because I was overweight, because if for some reason I didn't eat much for a few days, it would arrive. Since I started low carbing, I seem to have it all the time! Thanks to all for making me not feel like a freak and thanks to Nat for the info re estrogen - I didn't know that and it explains a lot.