Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Understanding % of carbs,fats etc (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=91091)

Labbysmom Fri, Mar-07-03 17:28

Understanding % of carbs,fats etc

Hi,

I am trying out the Fitday site and entering my food intake etc. What should be my percentage for carbs, fat, protien?
Is that how I tell if I am eating correctly on Atkins? (besides having the book permanently attached to my right hip :D

Thanks!

MAC Artist Fri, Mar-07-03 17:46

LAbby

I had the same questions. Stick to 65-70% fat, 25-30 protein, and 5 % fat. This applies to induction only. I found that when I ate more fat I felt more satisfied and lost more weight!! WOW

GO figure

Piera

Teuthis Fri, Mar-07-03 18:41

Opinion

I think the best thing we can all do is to study the gram carbohydrate tables in the Atkins book, and learn them thoroughly. There are some basic similarities between foods and you can eventually group them, in your mind, to where you know what you are up against when you have to eat out or somewhere other than home. I now have a good general idea of how to eat, what do eat, and how much to eat on Aktins. It helps.

The table in the Atkins seems to be quite thorough overall for natural foods. For fast foods or brand name prepared foods it might be good to get one of the large, reference books to learn those.

Good Luck!

Labbysmom Sat, Mar-08-03 00:32

Hmmm, 65-70% fat plus 5% fat??

Hi Mac Artist,
I am just a wee bit confused about your suggestion of 65-70% fat, 25-30% protein which all makes sense. Did you mean to say 5% carbs instead of Fat again?

Thanks
Labby

Alina Sat, Mar-08-03 03:35

Check this out

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...?threadid=89345

You can check my fitday too. Yes, eating enough fat is important.

Hope it helps, good luck!

Alina

MAC Artist Sat, Mar-08-03 08:49

HEy LAbby

OPPPPPS Yes I meant to say 5% Carb!!! SORRY. Did you find your percentages to be in those ball parks. I've finally have gottne mine tweaked to be right in those ranges and it does really make a difference interms of satiety, energy levels ect ect.

So how is the plan working for you? HOw long have u been on atkins? This is the second time I come back to atkins and I'm doing fine. Its only day 5 for me, but I came back to atkins witha different mind set this time. AND let me tell you half of the weightloss game if not more is your MIND!! I mean I defintiely think food does play a huge role, but its also how you view food, how you view activity and how you handle your emotions.

GOOD luck

Piera

Labbysmom Sat, Mar-08-03 11:23

Thanks Alina for the thread.

MacArtist: I did strict induction for a week and this is week 2 and not quite so strict as I've allowed some alcohol. One thing I noticed last night as I sipped my white wine was how SWEET it tasted! We drink a dry wine and I never noticed it before!

Regarding the FitDay site again: yesterday my total fats were 65% but it also had different percentages for Sat, Poly and Mono.
Can someone explain that to me please.

Also, I buy deli chicken (sliced cooked) and some ham and wonder if its full of carbs?

I weigh in tomorrow so will post my 'loss' :eek: then!

Labby

MAC Artist Sat, Mar-08-03 11:58

HI LAbby

I wouldn't worry about the breakdown on the "type" of fats your having too much. POly, mono and Sat are the differnet types of fat that exist. I do advocate trying to aim for more monounsaturated fats than saturated fats. Saturated fats come from animal sources like your pork, chicken beef, dairy, eggs. BUt the mono and poly UNsaturated fats come from plant sources like olive oil, avocados, and nuts. I would try to stick with getting more of those than the animal kind. I have read extensively on this and think gettin more OLive is better than lard or butter.

Also I am staying FAR FAR away from DELI meats. Its processed junk. Full of chemicals, nitrates, salt and additives. ANd most deli meats have sugar. I noticed that the first time I did atkins whenever I ate deli it would stall me. I would suggest to not eat too much of it if at all. jst my opinion,

Piera

lattegrl Sat, Mar-08-03 12:04

trying my question here

asked the other day but let me try again since there seems to be some action on this thread :D do we follow the RDA for vitamin/mineral counts on fitday if we are on atkins- i want to know what my daily calcium leval should be, i am not a long term tracker of this info but my fingernails went from nice to nubs since i started this diet- thought fitday might help me find my problem...TIA