Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Newbies' Questions (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=110)
-   -   Chicken Wings (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=202200)

campngrl Fri, Aug-06-04 06:58

Chicken Wings

I have been on the South Beach for three weeks but think I am going to switch over to Atkins. I havent read the book but I will before I start induction. But looking at allowed foods on induction I was wondering about fried chicken wings, plain and dipped in blue cheese dressing. If deep fried in canola oil wouldnt this be O.K. on the first two weeks occasionally if I add the carbs for the oil and blue cheese dressing? Anyway wish me luck and any advice would be helpful. Thanks. :wave:

MaryToU Fri, Aug-06-04 08:02

As long as there is no breading then you are fine. I often eat this as a lunch myself when we go out to eat.

toofattoo Fri, Aug-06-04 08:14

Hi there:hi: Welcome to the forum. I'm sure you will get a lot of good advice here, I know I have have. Prg

toofattoo Fri, Aug-06-04 08:14

Hi there :wave: Welcome to the forum. I'm sure you will get a lot of good advice here, I know I have. Peg

Magicbyrd Fri, Aug-06-04 08:16

I eat wings once or twice a week...as long as they aren't breaded. You might try one of the Hot Wing Bags (like the ones they use for pot roast) you'll find them in the spice section they make a very moist wing without added fat. You just throw in your wings, add the powder provided with the bag and shake and bake. I sometimes add a little extra hot sauce to spice them up. :yum:

Ladycody Fri, Aug-06-04 08:29

Costco sells a really good brand of hot wing too. As long as they arent breaded, both plain and hot wings are usually safe in most restaurants too. Most of the wing sauce used in restaurants is safe for LC. I just ask them to check the label for carbs and if it says anything other than 0 , to make my wings plain.

Galadriell Fri, Aug-06-04 11:06

Blue cheese dressing has carb in it: around 1 carb/tblspoon. So be careful not to use too much. (On the label usually there is 0 carb, as they can claim it is zero, if ONE protion has less than 1 carb. One protion is 1 tblspoon or less.)
Stay away from fat free dressings.
For info go to fitday.com. It is FREE and you can find - objective - carb counts there.

bevbme Fri, Aug-06-04 17:59

Count the carbs in the oil ?? nuh uh
The oil is not the problem it is 100% fat.
Actually there is no problem on Atkins as long as any marinate or basting sauce has no sugars.

twinmommy Sun, Aug-08-04 20:04

what about hooters wing sauce?

What about the hooters wing sauce you buy at the grocery store? it says no carbs and no sugars!!

PaminNY Mon, Aug-09-04 04:38

Louisiana hot sauce mixed with melted butter makes a great wing sauce!