Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   General Low-Carb (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Do sizes decrease faster as you get smaller? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=180260)

FrecklFluf Fri, Apr-23-04 12:01

Do sizes decrease faster as you get smaller?

So far I've lost about 42 pounds but have only shrunk from a size 18 (snug-ish) to a size 14, or maybe 12; I haven't tried on any 12s yet. So that's two, maybe three, sizes at an average of 14-21 pounds lost per one size lost. But I only have 15 pounds to go to reach my goal weight of 140, which I think is probably right for me as it is at the lower end of the large frame (which I definitely have) weight range for my height, 5' 4".

I guess what I'm asking is whether, as you get smaller, fewer pounds equal one size? Or is the 14-21 pounds (for me) pretty much what I've got? I know exercise can change that equation somewhat, and I have started working out, but just in general ... inquiring minds want to know.

el123 Fri, Apr-23-04 12:22

well i've never been a size 12. but i do know that i went, in a matter of pounds from a size 8 (sometimes 6) to a size 2 and sometimes a 0. Of course it's not the same for everyone! But it was shocking to me to put on a pair of size 0/1 jeans for the first time in my life. You might be surprised if you put on those size 12s!

celestia Fri, Apr-23-04 12:28

A long time ago, I was in size 18's and I thought there was a HUGE difference between the higher sizes then the lower ones. An 18 would be a pinch too snug, and a 20 was sooooo huge on me!

In my experience, the lower numbers are just a little bit different, as opposed to a more drastic change. But, hey, that all varies from store to store, too!

FrecklFluf Fri, Apr-23-04 12:36

Quote:
In my experience, the lower numbers are just a little bit different, as opposed to a more drastic change.
See, that's what I was wondering. Because if it's based on, say, a percentage, then definitely the larger you are the more you would have to lose to go down a size. Course, to me I still look like a size 16 most of the time, but I could be wrong.

Nancy LC Fri, Apr-23-04 13:04

Back years ago, I think I got down to 125 on my 5'8" frame and the smallest pants I ever fit into were 10's. Of course, sizes have inflated since then! Hmm... another thing is I weigh more than you and I'm just beginning to fit into 14's. Maybe its a height thing.

I have always been thicker in the hips/thighs than the waist though.

CheesyPoof Fri, Apr-23-04 13:44

Frecklfluf-

Sizing and goal weight sure seem pretty individual!! You and I have the same goal weight I'm 5'10. Last year I was 140 and wore a sizes 6-8. And I still had a little pot belly and was still a little flabby and thought I could stand to lose a little more weight (maybe five ill-placed pounds or so).

How did you determine you have a large frame?

devsi Fri, Apr-23-04 13:53

I've heard that you loose a size for every 15 lbs that you lose. Seems to run true for some and it takes longer for others!

Congrats on your loss!

LadyBelle Fri, Apr-23-04 13:57

Maybe it's also a case of when you are smaller you are more comfortable ina tighter size, or are more willing ot take the risk of trying on a smaller size.

lizwhip Fri, Apr-23-04 14:01

As you get smaller it does take fewer pounds to go down in clothing size. Lots of the smaller sizes are much more fitted than, say size 18 and up.

I remember being a size eight and a 7 or 8 lb. gain would put me back into a ten.

One of my daughters has size fours and size sixes, and 5 or 6 pounds either way determine which size she can wear.

Liz

CindyG Fri, Apr-23-04 14:16

I agree with Liz! My best friend is very trim (size 4). If she gains 5 pounds, she is wearing the 6's! A couple of years ago she was wearing size 10s. Lost about 15 pounds and now wears a 4! I've lost 40 pounds and have only gone down 1 pant size. Top size down 3! Everyone is different!

atlee Fri, Apr-23-04 14:16

i'm 5'5", and I used to be a 12 (sometimes 10) at about 140 lbs before I gained the weight. I got up to a size 18W (ok, 20 in denial) at my top weight of 210, but had gotten back down to a tight 16 when I started Atkins at 186. The first 25 pounds took me two (really, two and a half) sizes to a size 12 at 160. After losing 10 more pounds, I was a pretty comfortable 10 at 150, but there was a little less than 10 lbs between a size 10 and an 8, since 8s were getting a little loose on me at 140. There was only a 5-lb difference between an 8 and a 6, which I got into at 137, and 5 more lbs to a size 4, which was about 132. Now I'm 128-129, and some 4s are even a little loose in places -- two or three more pounds might occasionally take me into a 2, although I'm close to the limits of what my frame will permit. So for me, there was about a 10-lb difference between each size until I started to get really small, and then it was more like 5 lbs. Each pound lost really does make a difference now, as does each pound gained -- my clothes are noticeably tighter if I'm retaining a couple pounds of water.

vixen69 Fri, Apr-23-04 15:41

I think it also depends on where you lose weight faster and if you're down sizing in the same brand of clothing. I lose inches in my waist very fast and can easily wear a 6 now as long as it is skirt that doesn't hug the hips and thighs. My hips and thighs are a different story. I can't get into regular Calvin Kleins in a size 10 because of my huge thighs. When I was a lot thinner (125-130lbs), it took about 10-12lbs to go down a size and thighs and hips were still an issue sometimes.

UpTheHill Fri, Apr-23-04 17:10

I'm definitely seeing sizes taking less pounds now than at higher weights.

Lynda

Nancy LC Fri, Apr-23-04 17:10

I hear your pain, Vixen! That's exactly what happens to me. Damn those hips and thighs! After a certain point I look positively gaunt from the waist up and I'm still chubbers in the pantal area.

ItsTheWooo Fri, Apr-23-04 18:33

Oh yes, as you get smaller every pound makes a big difference. When I was at 155 (I have a small frame) I was a loose 16 tight 14... had to lose about 10 more pounds to get down to a big 14 tight 12.

But, once I reached size 12, I notice I started going through sizes more quickly. I've lost only 7 more pounds, and I am already in a big size 10... almost an 8.

I think my goal weight might be a little too high because I still look fat. I'm small framed and not very muscled, a size 9/10 looks way fatter than it should. I think a comfortable size 6 would look good on me, and I think 125-130 will do that. But, we'll see when we get there. I'm only 3 pounds to 135 so I doubt 3 pounds is enough to make that much of a difference :D. Heck I might just do weight training to firm up, probably would be better than trying to drop more weight.