Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   General Low-Carb (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   How bad is Soy Milk? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=21418)

wannabthin Tue, Sep-25-01 10:02

How bad is Soy Milk?

I missed my decaf-soy lattes so I went back to one every few days. How many carbs does the soy have it in? It's not flavored (ie: vanilla).

Natrushka Tue, Sep-25-01 10:11

Wanna, here's a link to our great carb counter. Just about anything you need to check can be found here.

http://www.lowcarb.ca/low-carb-tools/carb_counter.html

Nat :)

europoz Tue, Sep-25-01 12:33

~

BillT Tue, Sep-25-01 12:50

Losing the soy:

Wanna-B-Thin, you’ll be much better off using heavy whipping cream!

wangeci Tue, Sep-25-01 13:19

Europoz/great website

That is a great site that you directed us too, a lot of helpul information.
Thanks
Cindy

europoz Tue, Sep-25-01 20:55

~

fredonian Tue, Sep-25-01 23:23

It triggers my insulin response!!!

I've tried soy milk as an alternative and it really triggered my insulin response and caused me to crave high carb foods. If you miss your latte's, then you should use half and half or whipping cream. Whipping cream would be your best bet as half and half is only good in moderation because it can be high in carbs. I get by pretty well using just a little half and half in strong coffee with a sugar free flavoring. AND DON'T FORGET TO ADD THE SUGAR FREE COOL-WHIP AS A TOPPING!!! :D

Joanna Wed, Sep-26-01 09:17

For those of us in Canada:

I know the soy milk that Starbucks uses for their soy lattes (in Calgary anyway) is flavoured and probably has sugar in it. I used to drink them, but I think I'll stop now!

Still use soy milk in my tea -- I'm not sure I could drink it with cream. Maybe if I diluted the cream with water?

This is SUCH a great site!!!

Joanna :D

vitaka Wed, Sep-26-01 10:10

Adulterated

Quote:
Originally posted by Joanna:
Still use soy milk in my tea -- I'm not sure I could drink it with cream. Maybe if I diluted the cream with water?
I wonder that unadulterated soy milk would taste like in coffee or tea… They probably add some creamer! As for the cream in tea, just add a tiny tiny little bit, “a cloud.” No need to dilute since tea is made out of water! Otherwise you can compromise by using half/half. :idea:

puddinsmom Tue, Jul-15-03 20:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabthin
I missed my decaf-soy lattes so I went back to one every few days. How many carbs does the soy have it in? It's not flavored (ie: vanilla).

I found Silk soy milk creamer and it has one carb (says less than 1 gm sugar). Is anyone familiar with this product? It sounds too good to be true. (Tastes pretty good).

Ronski2000 Tue, Jul-15-03 21:58

Puddinsmom-
Maybe you are talking about Westsoy Sugar Free Soy Milk. I drink the chocolate one and it is yummy and no carbs. I found it at Albertson's

LadyBelle Wed, Jul-16-03 00:34

Here the west soy product is called Soy Slender. It has 1 effective carb. I love the stuff and use it almost daily, or at least I did. Unfortunetly I can't find anywhere that sells it here :( It is sweetened with splenda.

Most soy milks, even the plain kind are loaded with sugars. You could try to find a completely unsweetened one. Make sure to read carb count and ingredients as I've seen soy milks that get really creative in hiding sugars. "dehydrated cane juice" was one alias I saw :P

dreis1 Wed, Jul-16-03 22:23

I would definetly try the Soy Slender Cappucino by WestSoy, (call 1-800-SOYMILK for coupons). It tastes really good and only has 1g net for an 8oz serving. There Chocolate is better than Hershey's.

Kroger's carries it, not sure where you are

puddinsmom Thu, Jul-17-03 20:22

Well, I emailed the mfgr and their response is that the serving size is 1 Tablespoon so in that 1 Tb. there are 0 carbs...but there's 14 or so in a cup. So, I need to find the soy milk you found.

acipenser Thu, Jul-17-03 21:52

just curious why it is better to make a latte out of cream instead of soy milk. i use pacific brand unsweetened, plain soymilk. it says 4g carbs per serving. you would get more carbs from regular cream in a 1/2 cup serving i think. besides a latte made from cream is way too thick for me, i love my soy ones. am i missing something??

thanks