Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Please help me! (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=102561)

nedsed Fri, May-02-03 07:43

Please help me!

I've fallen, and I can't get up! Seriously, though, I've been doing this since last September, and everything was going fine. But the last month has been very rough, and last week I stopped entirely. I desperately want to start again. It's been an emotional time...too much stress...and I need to find another way to cope with it. :(

I was happy with my WOE before all this, so I know it could feel good again. Has anyone else dealt with this? Any suggestions for getting back in the swing of things? I took the book out, and I'm reading it again from the beginning. I guess I just want to know that I haven't messed everything up for good.

Any thoughts you have would be very appreciated.

Thanks!

:confused:

cori Fri, May-02-03 07:47

I try to think about my eating and exercise habits as something I can control. I can't control whether my ex will pick up the kids when he says, I just pick up the pieces. I can't control my job, or the world, or the crazy people in it.

But I can control what I put in my mouth -- and that will lead me directly to feeling better about myself -- which will lead to me worrying a lot less about all of the things that I can't control.

You can do it!

jedswife Fri, May-02-03 07:47

just start right back on induction and dont give up. look how well you've done so far. so you had a set back - this is for life, it is not a race.

Darlene63 Fri, May-02-03 07:50

I don't know how to tell you to motivate yourself...that's hard for me, too. But please hang in there and don't give up. I'm only in day five of Induction, so it's still pretty early for me. However, I do feel so much better already! The times I've thought about eating something I shouldn't, I remember how bad that stuff made me feel before. I know there will be lots and lots of temptations and my only hope will be to rely on God! I will keep you in my thoughts...I know this is something you can do because you've done it before! Just keep hanging around here...there is a lot of wisdom to be found! :)

Darlene

fairchild Fri, May-02-03 07:59

FOCUS

BIG PAT ON THE BACK
for your loss 60% :cheer:

Today you are continuing the way of eating that got you there.
Thats all that matters.

STOP BEATING YOURSELF UP :nono:

You are continuing what got you to your goal, today and tomorrow and the rest of your life.

You do not need to reread the book to convince yourself of this, you need to reread whatever got you motivated to start the way of eating that got you to your goal.
What I read to keep me motivated is the daily press accounts of how being overweight or obese makes you 20% more likely to get cancer or diabetes or just about any life threatening disease, then I take a look in the mirror and remember my vanity counts too. Most importantly how do I feel ?
Just like anything else we ususally end up doing ourselves a disservice when we feel crappy and doing something to make ourselves feel worse. For some its drinking and for some its eating. I dont drink at all but.....

You are already there, just continue :there:

tgill32177 Fri, May-02-03 08:08

Keep your chin up!

You haven't messed up for good.
Just had a relapse like many addicts
do. I did and this is my 2nd time on
the Atkins diet and my resolve
it to keep with it.
You may want to go to the beginning
and start with induction. I know,
I know that is not what you wanted
to hear, but let's get that fat burning
machine churning again.
What other ways have you decided
that you would use to handle the
stress, besides going to high carb
foods? According to your post this
is what broke you down in the
first place. You may not be able to
control your circumstances, but you
can control what you put into your
mouth. Find ways of reducing stress,
like relaxing walks, exercise, prayer,
meditation or a hobby.
Of course this is easier said than done-
take it from me I know!
But you took the first step in reaching
out- so here's my hand. There are many
wonderful people here who are very
supportive.
Take care and be blessed!
Tanya :p

nedsed Fri, May-02-03 08:15

Thank you all so much! I'm so glad I can come to this forum -- it's easy to feel alone when you mess up. The worst part about falling off, which might end up being the best part, is that I haven't even been enjoying these high-carb foods. I really liked what I was doing before, but I guess I needed a good kick in the pants to see that I haven't fallen off for good.

So I guess I'm back to Day 1 of Induction. Here we go again!

:p

Munia68 Sun, May-04-03 01:51

hello nedsed,

I came here -- to this thread -- looking for you, after I found you in another thread with your very wonderful stats. I am so happy that you finally could get on the wagon again. How is your induction going?

BeccaResRN Sun, May-04-03 03:37

Hey there

If I can do it you can too!!!!! After losing 40 pounds in about 4 months I satrted having a hard time staying motivated and kept falling off the wagon and getting back on....gaining...losing...gaining..losing

I gained and lose 10 pounds back and forth during jan and Feb...part of my problems was depression I am now on meds and that is helping and I am at all all time low!!!

So my point is as long as you keep getting back on the wagon and not giving yourself permission to quit entirely because you messed up then its going to work...its going to click and you will back on track.

Theres no shame in failing...but to stop trying....

Anyway I am sure you are doing mavelous on your restart to induction and you will be losing like crazy soon!!!

wordlady Sun, May-04-03 05:18

When I've lost motivation, I go back and read the book. If that's not motivating, NOTHING is!!!

I also make it a priority; drink a cup of coffee at night if need be, and come here and read some success stories.

Third: set up a "marine guard" in your brain. Heck, a whole platoon. Make it their job to GUARD YOUR THINKING. Make it their job to watch for negative/self defeating thoughts and to shoot them dead, then gently help to replace those thoughts with positive statements. Feelings follow thoughts. MAKE your thoughts HELP you. It's a challenge, but you can DO IT.

Lastly, make up your mind. Success is a matter of the made up mind. A saying I've always loved.

jers52 Sun, May-04-03 10:24

your first step...

is a good one- admitting that you are struggling and coming here for support ! Hang in there- re-read, re-group and do it one day, one meal at a time!

Jan