Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   question about OWL (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=175958)

el123 Tue, Mar-30-04 22:40

question about OWL

i am about to start OWL, but as it is, i am not getting up to 20 carbs a day. i'm not sure i can eat any more salad than i already am! what was the first food you introduced when you began ongoing weight loss, other than MORE induction-friendly veggies? what have you had the most success with? i am very close to my goal weight, and i don't want to reach it then realize i don't know how to STOP losing weight.

DianaO Wed, Mar-31-04 05:20

Try adding a different veggie, maybe as a snack. Cucumbers, celery, small tomato slices.

teresamay Wed, Mar-31-04 05:37

Don't forget, in OWL you can introduce berries, nuts and some different veggies.

Katie_K Wed, Mar-31-04 07:01

I was also going to suggest nuts. Macadamias and almonds are good to start with. If you start eating nuts, you might want to up your water intake to counteract the effects of the salt.

What about a slice of low carb bread with peanut butter?

mel92 Wed, Mar-31-04 07:04

The first food I introduced in OWL were walnuts. I would then have them mixed into my LC yogurt (my second food added into OWL) for breakfast.

Congrats on your amazing progress el!

:)melissa

Fridaylove Wed, Mar-31-04 07:18

I added LC Yogurt and I mixed FlaxGranonla into it. Also, nuts are good to add, you can add berries as well...when I finished induction, I started making some more fancy dishes as well, like squash pudding (squash, cheese, cream, some almond flour)...Hmmm.....also having more veggies...
Brussel Srouts, Spinach, Green Beans, Zucchinin...Eggplant (eggplant lasagna is good)

akyser Wed, Mar-31-04 08:55

When did you guys start OWl? Would you say I've lost enough to start adding foods in yet? I have started adding some already bit I try to stay at or below 20g. carbs. Is this ok to do?

el123 Wed, Mar-31-04 08:59

thank you guys for all your help!! i think it's just me being paranoid about not eating the right foods... but nuts and berries... yum! i'm so excited!

Kathy54 Wed, Mar-31-04 11:03

Quote:
I try to stay at or below 20g. carbs. Is this ok to do?

To do OWL correctly follow the book increase carbs by about 5 per week.
Yes berries and grains are a good first choice, it's amazing how those can expand your range of food choices.Soft cheeses too like cottage cheese. Just don't add all of these in one week, slowly re-intorduce foods, keeping your carbs at 5 extra per day per week.

KAthy

CarynLucy Wed, Mar-31-04 11:20

Try this

Add more veges - I like cold green beans with a little Italian dressing and feta cheese. Some people like almonds in their green beans, but I'm allergic.

People look in my fridge, see all the canned green beans, think I'm nuts! But they all tried it and loved it.

I'm not necessary a lettuce fan, and I'm very lazy by the time I get home from work, the gym, its' usually 6:30, so I like EASY, so I put together a salad that consists of:

Tomato
Cucumber
Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
Green Beans
Feta Cheese
Green Olives

Then you can cook up some chicken or steak, throw it in the salad, chill overnight, makes a great lunch to take to work! Fills you up, gets in all your nutrients and is yummy to boot!

As a time-saver, I started buying all my veges for the week on Sunday, chopping everything, storing in plastic baggies, then every night I just grab what I need!

Have a great day!
C :)

LadyBelle Wed, Mar-31-04 11:20

I agree with trying other veggies too. Have a full cup of spaghetti squash instead of 1/2. Add more brussle sprouts, or green beans to dinner.

freckles Wed, Mar-31-04 23:09

Yep...veggies. They're the most important carbs to eat. I try to eat at least 3 servings per day. Higher carb ones on the list are spinach, green beans, zucchini, red cabbage, broccoli, onions and peppers. These are the ones I like. I started OWL about 4 weeks ago. I did a re-induction for two weeks prior and I was just eating the 3 cups salad (lower carb) veggies and only getting about 11-12 carbs per day. So my first additions were higher carb veggies and dairy. I have been spending two weeks at each carb level just to make sure nothing is causing problems...and because I still have about 25 lbs. left to go. I added nuts last week. Dr. A recommended eating the new food group only 3x the first week, then whenever you want. I've found this to be helpful with finding problem foods too. Cottage cheese was a problem food for me. This sunday I get to add berries (and they're on SALE)! I've followed the carb ladder, but after berries I'm going to skip to lc grains. After that it won't matter if my CCLL goes any higher. I'll have everything I need. OWL has been stressful for me...but it will be worth it. I'll know how to eat to not only maintain my weight, but to be healthy too.