Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Newbies' Questions (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=110)
-   -   Greetings! Need LC Wisdom for Induction (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=124909)

egglady Tue, Jul-22-03 21:14

Greetings! Need LC Wisdom for Induction

Greetings, fellow LCers! This is a great board, so many supportive people. I've been lurking for a few weeks and now it's time to meet everyone. This will be a long post -- I need your LC wisdom!

I'm doing Atkins and just started my second week of Induction today. What a great WOE! I'm so happy to be on it...it's strict, but it's so easy to stick to, apart from the occasional cookie craving :daze: .

I've read DANDR a couple of times and refer to it every day, but there are a few things that confuse me, especially after reading how other people are doing Induction. So I have a couple of questions for you more experienced Atkins folks.

1. Atkins says to eat either 3 cups salad, or 2 cups salad and 1 cup acceptable veg per day. Can I also add more salad or acceptable veg, as long as I stay under 20 grams net carb per day? Or is veg intake strictly limited for some reason?

2. A few days ago I noticed a metallic taste in the back of my mouth. Quite a few people on this board mention that as a symptom of ketosis, so I was really excited. But it went away the next day. Was I in ketosis for a short time and then went out? Or does that symptom come and go?

3. I've lost 10 lb in 2 weeks (was cutting carbs before "officially" starting Induction), but no inches :confused: . Could that ALL have been water?

4. I try to go to the gym 3 times a week, 35-45 min cardio and 5 or 6 weight machines each time. Should I do more?

Thank you so much for any advice you can offer!

lissame Tue, Jul-22-03 21:49

Welcome egglady!

1. I believe your veggies are limited. I can't give you a good reason as to why, but I've heard others saying too many veggies can cause a stall.

2. My understanding is the metallic taste can come and go - wish the bad breath did! :blush: If it concerns you, you can always pick up a bottle of the ketosis sticks at your area walmart for under $10.

3. It is possible it was all water weight. Atkins diet is in a certain way kind of like a natural diuretic. I would just stick with it.. it isn't uncommon to lose weight and not inches - or even inches and no weightloss.

4. I think your exercise is fantastic. Way ahead of me! :) I am a member of a buddies thread that you are more than welcome to join, if you'd like Late 20's Low Carbers (and all ages are welcome.. I'm no spring chicken :p )

Coolcat Thu, Jul-24-03 13:25

the plan

1. Atkins says to eat either 3 cups salad, or 2 cups salad and 1 cup acceptable veg per day. Can I also add more salad or acceptable veg, as long as I stay under 20 grams net carb per day? Or is veg intake strictly limited for some reason?

** Veggies are your #1 concern after meat. Eat as much as you can get away with, without going over your daily allowance. If you're smart about it, you'll go for the fiber-dense dark green veggies that are high in phytonutrients. It's all about more "bang for the buck". **

2. A few days ago I noticed a metallic taste in the back of my mouth. Quite a few people on this board mention that as a symptom of ketosis, so I was really excited. But it went away the next day. Was I in ketosis for a short time and then went out? Or does that symptom come and go?

** Ketosis/lipolysis has different effects on people. Some taste a funny metallic taste. Some people get HOT. Some people just test purple on ketostix. **

3. I've lost 10 lb in 2 weeks (was cutting carbs before "officially" starting Induction), but no inches :confused: . Could that ALL have been water?

** I suppose it's possible, but the more probable answer is you didn't measure correctly the second time. :) **

4. I try to go to the gym 3 times a week, 35-45 min cardio and 5 or 6 weight machines each time. Should I do more?

** 3x per week should be your minimum exercise. Shoot for 5x a week if you can swing it. :) **

Good luck!

egglady Thu, Jul-24-03 19:20

Wow, guys, thank you for the advice!

lissame, thanks for the invite -- I'll check out that buddies thread. Having lots of people nag me will provide motivation to go and work out!

coolcat, every Monday I vow to "go to the gym 4x or 5x this week" (even though I am lazy). So far I can only manage 3x because of work and night school. (My gym is over an hour away from work, so morning workouts aren't an option.) Just have to try and manage my time better.

Maybe I'll start adding another cup of green leafy veggies (my favourite kind) every day and see if that causes a stall. Bok choi stir-fried with garlic and sesame oil, a few flakes of dried chilis, maybe some chicken too -- delicious.

11 days into Induction and I've finally lost half an inch around my waist. Hurray!

Thanks again! See you in the forums.