Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   buffalo wings? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=138866)

filmlass23 Tue, Sep-23-03 10:29

buffalo wings?

hi -- real quick--

I've seen a few people on here who get buffalo wings...:angel:

What's the consensus on wings here? If they're unbreaded and traditional, spicy wings (like... not BBQ sauce or whatever... ACTUAL Buffalo Wing Sauce), are they ok?

thx...
~D

AJ_0001 Tue, Sep-23-03 10:36

D - I have made my own - I buy wings, spice with garlic and onion powder, bake in oven at 350° for 1 hour, then coat with 0-carb 0-sugar hot sauce (I use Frank's - but read the labels) and put back in oven to bake the hot sauce in for about 1/2 hour - they are fabulous - serve with blue cheese dressing and celery sticks - YUMMY! We cooked 10 pounds of wings for 4 of us, had heaps left over but what a feast - I try to make them at least once a week. Enjoy!
Ana

Arie Tue, Sep-23-03 10:39

It depends: wings are deep fried and then covered
with sauce. The traditional sauce is made mostly of hot sauce, and butter.. However some wings are dusted with flour before they are fried, not much flour but if you are on induction you may need to count it..

I love Bwings.. and they are good for ya! :)

ian559 Tue, Sep-23-03 10:41

I deep fry my wings like in the resturants. True buffalo sause is butter, hot sauce, salt and pepper. You can add any spices or seasonings you like. I luv crushed garlc in mine.

2Airedales Tue, Sep-23-03 10:46

I bought frozen ones at the grocery store. The Carb count is really low. .2 per 3 wings.

filmlass23 Tue, Sep-23-03 11:01

What kind of wings did u buy, 2Airedales?

Great suggestions, guys! I'm thinking I'll try this:
-salt & pepper the raw chicken
-fry them as best I can in a deep frying pan
-and then get em with a sauce made of a milder hot sauce, garlic, butter, (& maybe even a sprinkle of splenda? BBQ sauce is sweet... which is what I prefer... not really into SPICY stuff)

Ooo... now i can't wait! Hehe...

ian559 Tue, Sep-23-03 11:03

no need to salt and pepper first. Resurants use frozen wings and they go in the fry frozen right from the bag. Use a good hot sauce. If want it milder then use more butter less sauce.

2Airedales Tue, Sep-23-03 11:05

I bought a canadian brand; President's Choice. I find that it's actually cheaper to buy them frozen than to make my own! They have great flavors and all LC.

retrochiq Tue, Sep-23-03 11:12

I love to dip my wings in egg then roll in parmesan cheese then deep fry...mmmm, think I'll have some for dinner tonite!

Rheneas Tue, Sep-23-03 12:26

Forgive my denseness but what on earth is a buffalo wing (visualises large cow like creature flapping past)?

filmlass23 Tue, Sep-23-03 12:41

LOL... Rheneas... for a sec I was like, "what planet is this person from?" Then I saw you're from Planet Britain.

They're just separated chicken wings that are deep fried and then sauced up. Here in the states, men make a sport of "who can eat the spiciest wings" and sometimes end up in tears and/or with esophagus damage. (that last part was a little exaggerated...)

Arie Tue, Sep-23-03 12:41

Buffalo wings are chicken wings (the 2 meaty parts of the wing, the drumlett and the arm), cooked and covered in hot sauce.. It was originated in Buffalo New York.. hence the name..

JulieL Tue, Sep-23-03 13:45

I use nearly the same recipe as AJ for mine, except I use salt and pepper along with the Onion and Garlic powders. I like them really spicy. Louisiana Hot Sauce has no sugar or carbs in it and is pretty spicy. Texas Pete is another brand I like too (no carbs, no sugar). But Louisiana has a thicker consistancy and makes the wings more "saucy".

Julie

NYorker Tue, Sep-23-03 15:17

Since I discovered buffalo wings were okay, I've been through three bottles of Tabasco and several pounds of butter. Mmmmmm. I think I will make them again tonight. They are best deep fried, but it's such a pain I just broil them now.

xcarbqueen Tue, Sep-23-03 16:11

Hooters has three types of wing sauce. I get them at my Meijers store. One is mild, medium and hot. The hot one is pretty good and I believe the carb count is either 0 or maybe 1. I love all three! I sometimes mix the hot with the medium because the medium has butter in it and I believe the hot doesn't. My favorite though is still Texas Pete!