Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   None of us SCREWED up! (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=77649)

Suzan Wed, Jan-01-03 19:46

None of us SCREWED up!

There are no bad foods, just some choices that aren't as good. Try and think back to before you started LCing...what might a typical Christmas day/holiday season have been like? I know I could have been found polishing off two or three Nanaimo bars at one sitting, fruit cake (yeah, I'll admit it - I love it), cherry pound cake, Turtles, chocolates by the handful, eating way way way too much at Christmas dinner to the point of getting sick...just eating with absolutely not a care in mind. But this year I did enjoy some choices over the holidays that I wouldn't normally have while being strict with the LCing but it wasn't wrong, it was normal. I found it best to plan ahead and pick my poisons...I never had any non-LC sweets at all (made goodies for myself and had them on hand), basically stuck to the plan for Christmas dinner but did enjoy a good helping of Christmas Morning Wifesaver at breakfast that day 'cause that's the one thing I like best about Christmas and I would rather have that than a turkey and the fixins that go with it.

So, sit back, relax, be proud of the choices you made, be proud of your progress and have a great 2003!

doreen T Wed, Jan-01-03 23:32

Thanks Suzan. I was thinking of something similar ... how Christmas Dinner (or any of the holiday family dinners) used to consist of whatever roasted or baked meat (ham, turkey, beef etc.. ) served up with candied yams, mashed white potatoes, corn and stuffing. We just automatically considered the yams, spuds and corn as vegetables. A leafy salad was unheard of .. I cringe now to think how much food I used to eat as a youngster at these family gatherings :eek: and thought it was perfectly NORMAL.

Happy New Year, and happy low-carbing to all :wave:

Doreen

freydis Fri, Jan-03-03 21:55

For me, it was the pies. Chocolate cream, apple, pumpkin, peach cobbler, lemon meringue, blackberry cobbler, blueberry and more - waiting on the dining room table, taunting me. My stomach could not hold all of those flavors. So, I would eat one or two, on top of everything else, and get so full I threw up. Then, go back and do it again. Very sad to think of it now, but it only happened on holidays and only because of the pies, and only for a few years (pre-teen). That was the one time I truly had no control. I would try hard not to do it and simply could not stop myself. My mother made the best pies. I still don't know if I could resist one like she used to make, but nobody else's pies ever taste as good as hers did, so I'm no longer tempted.