Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Newbies' Questions (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=110)
-   -   HELP! Dizzy and giving up on Atkins... (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=133597)

hotirishdi Thu, Aug-28-03 09:08

HELP! Dizzy and giving up on Atkins...

All right! I'm going to give up on Atkins. I started to get dizzy again yesterday and am just about convinced it's from the diet.

If I have to be fat or dizzy, I pick fat!

I'm not completely against LC, though. Maybe there's another plan out there that would work for me without the dizziness. Anyone have any ideas?

lkonzelman Thu, Aug-28-03 09:09

The dizziness lasts a few days. It is your blood sugar dropping from the lack of bad carbs.

It is a good thing.

You will feel better then you ever did shortly... just hang in there.

hotirishdi Thu, Aug-28-03 09:14

No, it lasts much more than a few days. It lasted for a month and a half! After a month of debilitating dizziness, I didn't have the energy to cook for myself anymore, so went off for three weeks. Just went back on last week and here it is again! I've been to the doctor about six times for it. They've run all sorts of tests and gave me various medications. Nothing did any good until I stopped Atkins.

Please don't tell me to hang in there. My six-year-old just doesn't understand that Mommy can't play with her, clean or even stand up for long periods. I am serious when I say it's debilitating dizziness. I'm not asking for encouragement, but another option.

lkonzelman Thu, Aug-28-03 09:16

That isn't normal at all.

Check the quick links on the right "what lc plan is right for me" and see is something looks more to your liking.

hotirishdi Thu, Aug-28-03 09:22

Thanks.

Sorry if I sounded snippy. It's just H E double hockey sticks dealing with the dizziness! Besides, what did I sign up on the forum for, if not encouragement?

I appreciate your help.

easyrider Thu, Aug-28-03 11:34

Dizzy

You know I have been on Atkins for 4 days. I'm also staying dizzy. Yesterday! I had to call someone to pick my children from school, as I didn't feel safe driving. Whats going on with me? Why do I feel like this, dizzy and wanting to almost pass out. HELP I do not want to leave Atkins. As I feel this is my last resort.

melissasvh Thu, Aug-28-03 11:39

HotIrishDi -

Your stats indicate that your doing "Atkins tweaked to suit my life." How is it tweaked? What is a typical day's meals for you? Have you also given up caffeine?

Kristine Thu, Aug-28-03 12:25

...and what's your blood pressure like? If you're taking any kind of medication that has a diuretic affect - there are many of them, even alcohol... that will increase the natural diuretic effect of low carbing. This causes low blood pressure and dizziness.

...and electrolytes? Are you taking the recommended suppliments of potassium/calcium/magnesium and/or getting enough from the food you're eating?

...and what about that ear infection? You probably have a more serious infection than that, if your white cell count was high.

Quit LCing if it would make you feel better, but I hope you and your doc figure out what's really going on here - it takes a lot more than diet to render someone "debilitated". :exclm:

hotirishdi Thu, Aug-28-03 12:58

The "tweaked" bit basically meant I didn't add things back in Dr. Atkins' recommended sequence, mostly because I forgot about it before I added, then re-read and it was too late.

Yes, my BP is normal, so is all my blood work...I'm not convinced there ever was an ear infection, normal CT scan, normal audiogram and ENG (balance test). I'll telling you they've run every test they can think of and the only difference between dizzy and not is Atkins.

strokerace Thu, Aug-28-03 14:10

Well that is odd, I felt real dizzy and sick, weak, tired and all around like crap for a few days but it went a way after while.
If you plan on staing on a LC plan you really my want to start a journal here and list the foods you eat everyday. Maybe it is something you are eating. Somethings have hidden carbs and sugars that could be throwing you off. Did they check your thyroid? I know you said every test but just checking.
Well good luck with what ever you decide. I hope it all works out. If you want list what you have been eating.

Tiawyn Thu, Aug-28-03 14:50

Weird - this seems to be happening to me too - though it seems to only happen when I'm actively losing weight - I just stalled for 2 weeks- felt find the whole time - now that I'm back to losing, I'm headachy and dizzy. It's very strange.

strokerace Thu, Aug-28-03 15:00

Maybe y'all need to start a journal on here and see what kind of foods you are eating. Maybe it is the food. Just a idea. I notice when I eat the Atkin's bar they make me feel kinsa yucky and light headed. I do not eat them often but they do make me feel bad.

nawchem Thu, Aug-28-03 17:20

Did you have the dizziness from the very start back in May?

hotirishdi Thu, Aug-28-03 18:57

No, I didn't it started about mid-June.

edie Fri, Aug-29-03 05:33

I may be able to help!

I had that dizzy business so bad for so long that one morning I got up about 4AM to go to the bathroom and fell flat on my back, (hit my head hard, scared the devil out of my husband, etc,). Well I figured something seriously had to be done, so I thought about it and the biggest difference with Atkins and the way I used to eat was I used to eat a lot of fruit, (high in potassium), a real lot, and none on Atkins. So I added 1/4 tsp. Nusalt, which is pure potassium each AM and have been fine since. Nu salt is not No salt, they are different. To get the 600-700 mg. of potassium in capsuls you would have to take quite a few, you'd have to check label.
Well hope this helps!