Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   General Low-Carb (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   LCing with a cold. (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=34754)

odinisgod Wed, Feb-20-02 11:09

LCing with a cold.

Well, it was bound to happen. Alsmost 6 weeks LCing and I finally got a cold. Now that I am laying off stuff like cough syrup and cough drops, I am not quite sure how to handle this, so I have a few questions that I am hoping you guys can answer, as well as a few comments of my own.

Is there such a thing as low carb cough drops? I know they make some sugar free stuff, but I can't find any nutritional information on any of the cough drops I have seen, and sugar free doesn't always mean carb free.

Normally when I got a cold, I would take nyquil or something equivalent to help me sleep. But now I am trying to stay away from syrups. Since I thought alchohol might help me sleep, I downed 6 oucnces of gin (neat) with about 800 mg of ibuprofin in 15 minutes (I am a big guy, I can handle it), and I actually slept pretty good.

Before LCing, I didn't get a cold for about a year and a half. I was begining to think that I was "unbreakable." Everyone around me would be hacking away and I would be fine. Even when my wife would get sick, I didn't even get as much as a sniffle. I was wondering if LCing does something to decrease your immunity? Maybe losing weight in general lowers your immunity somewhat? Anyone have info/experience on this?

Natrushka Wed, Feb-20-02 11:23

Odin, benalyn makes a sugar free cough syrop - I know, I lived on it for a week in Cuba ;) You can find it in most pharmacies. Also, behind the counter (in canada at least) you can get a no name sugar free syrop with codeine that works wonders. Not sure if that's the case in Chicago.

I have found that LCing actually increased my immunity to the colds and flus running rampant this year - My theory is that a virus thrives on sugar and it's not getting any from me! I've had a cold and the flu - normally I'd have had 3 or 4 colds by now. This is just my exeprience, however.

The idea that losing weight might effect your immune system is something I'd not thought about - but it makes sense. I am sure Doreen will be better able to comment.

In the meantime, stay hydrated and eat when and what you can. And tell me, how did your first business trip out of town go??

Nat

odinisgod Wed, Feb-20-02 11:34

Thanks for the reply Nat. I guess that this cold coming in conjunction with LCing is more than likely a conicidence. I am sure my number had been up for a while.

I haven't gone on the trip yet. Not for another week and a half. I noticed that you are in Ontario. The conference I am going to is in Detroit, but I will be staying at a hotel in Windsor (probably where I will eat most of my meals too). Pretty cool. I will be sure to let you know how it went. :)