Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Specific Exercise Plans (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=52)
-   -   [CKD] Blood Glucose levels and Ketosis (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=122954)

saelee Tue, Jul-15-03 08:05

Blood Glucose levels and Ketosis

Anyone ever monitor their blood glucose levels during the beginnings of the diet (i.e. early in the week) to when you are actually in ketosis.

Oddly enough, my blood sugars, after 3 days of ketogenic eating, were higher then when I ate lots of carbs and took the test (118 vs. 85 after carbing up) Then i checked it once i was in ketosis, and it was 91.

Seems odd to me, but it seems like the initial elevated blood sugar levels were due to my liver releasing its stores of glycogen, with a lack of insulin, and my post carb blood sugar being lower due to the release of insulin by my pancreas.

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Sam

KC_Pike Fri, Jul-18-03 10:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by saelee
Anyone ever monitor their blood glucose levels during the beginnings of the diet (i.e. early in the week) to when you are actually in ketosis.

Oddly enough, my blood sugars, after 3 days of ketogenic eating, were higher then when I ate lots of carbs and took the test (118 vs. 85 after carbing up) Then i checked it once i was in ketosis, and it was 91.

Seems odd to me, but it seems like the initial elevated blood sugar levels were due to my liver releasing its stores of glycogen, with a lack of insulin, and my post carb blood sugar being lower due to the release of insulin by my pancreas.

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Sam

Ive WANTED to monitor my blood levels but quite frankly Im scared of needles :wiggle:

Have you found monitoring this to be of benefit to you?

saelee Fri, Jul-18-03 11:08

I don't know how beneficial it was, just more alarming. The only reason i have a glucose monitoring kit is because my mother is diabetic. Becasue of that, she is always concerned about our glucose levels (i.e. due to insulin tolerance, heredity etc.)

I just thought it was very strange my glucose levels were higher, when i was having virtually zero carbs, but it most likely had to do with the fact that i think my liver was releasing its stores of glucose, and my pancreas was not being too active with insulin due to my lack of ingesting direct sugars.

the only benefit i think is that i know that my blood sugars are in the 80-90 range when i'm in ketosis, but oddly enough though, when i carb load, they read the same levels.

All in all, i don't think that in a healthy person, glucose levels really swing enough to tell you anything about CKDiets.

Thanks.

Sam

abstract Fri, Jul-18-03 13:26

Sometimes the ingestion of thermogenics(ECA stacks, etc...) can cause your glucose readings to be a little off.

Do you do morning cardio on an empty stomach? This would empty your liver glycogen stores. I would recommend 2 consecutive days of morning cardio and no carbs on these days; then, test your glucose levels. This method should give you an accurate reading...

Sporto1633 Sun, Oct-26-03 18:28

Not only will a thermogenic stack have an effect, but everyone's liver is different as to what blood glucose level it will start to produce ketone bodies. An even more accurate way to tell than ketostix or a glucometer is your individual "feel." Although it is hard to describe, you will "feel" it when it starts to switch over. That probably wasn't the answer you are looking for, but the more you do this type of diet, you will know exactly what I am talking about. I don't even need the ketostix anymore. You know your body much better than anyone or anything else, so trust yourself :)