Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Serving sizes for macadamia nuts and pork rinds (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=103437)

tlw1970 Tue, May-06-03 08:41

Serving sizes for macadamia nuts and pork rinds

G'day,

I just wondered: what is considered a serving of macadamia nuts or pork rinds? If I'm not careful, I could munch my way through an entire jar/bag... :roll:

Thanks a lot,
Tim

LCBarbara Tue, May-06-03 08:49

Check the label for serving size. For example, my pork rinds (made by FritoLay) says 9 pieces per serving.

If you feel like eating the whole bag, then simply multiple the number of total servings in the bag by the carbs per serving.
For example, 10 servings x 1 carb per serving = 10 carbs. As long as you have room in your carb budget, eat them.

As for macadamia nuts, about 11 nuts is an ounce and has 1 net carb per ounce, (4 carb - 3 fiber).

So again, eat freely, but count the carbs so you don't go over your carb budget!

BTW, are you still on induction? If so, they are not on the induction list, so wait until you move onto the next phase before you eat nuts.

yvonne326 Tue, May-06-03 08:56

As everything, I measure. Pork rinds are tough though because of their various sizes but I "guess" 1 cup and since they have no carbs or less than 1 than I don't worry. As for Macademias, 27 pieces (as per my label - Planters) or 12 whole nuts is appx. an ounce and I make sure I count these cause I can easily eat the whole jar! I love them!

Crimson Tue, May-06-03 10:28

I was under the impression pork rinds (fried pork fat) had no carbs. Are you guys sure about the carb content in those? The bag I bought last week said zero.

As for mac nuts... I eat about 1/4 cup... this adds up to 3g carbs, 2g fibre... so net carbs is 1 gram.

WeeOne Tue, May-06-03 10:44

My porkrinds say 0 carbs also.

I buy the HOT and Spicey ones, then I eat less because they burn my mouth! ;)

Tam

Birddog Tue, May-06-03 11:09

Nuts and Pork Rinds

Like Crimson. My nut label reads: Serving size 1/4 cup, 3 carbs, 2 Fiber = 1.0 and pork rinds are 0

LCBarbara Tue, May-06-03 11:42

I count 1 carb per serving of pork rinds because the label on the Frito Lay bag says 'less than one carb per serving'. That leads me to believe that there are actually countable carbs in them.

Remember, in the U.S. , manufacturers can put '0' carbs on labels even when a food has up to .09 carbs per serving. I count them to be on the safe side.

Plus, I'm suspicious when the calories on a nutrition label don't add up. In this case, the porkrinds are 80cal. per serving, with 45 cal. from fat and 28 from protein. What causes the missing 7 calories? My educated guess is they are in the missing carbs.