Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Newbies' Questions (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=110)
-   -   Ketostrip question (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=187664)

Shoe Freak Fri, May-28-04 18:21

Ketostrip question

Exactly what color am I aiming for? I know the top purple means I need more water and the bottom one means I am not in ketosis, but what about all the middle ones? Which shade of purple is the beginning of ketosis? (I am on the third from the bottom right now.) Thanks!

tofi Fri, May-28-04 18:50

You are aiming for any level of ketones. If you only get to Trace, the palest pink, that IS success and you could lose well and NEVER get to the dark pink or purples.

If you are on the middle one, you are doing just fine and will lose well. Those stix are pretty cheap because they aren't all that accurate. Depending on their expiry date or how long they have been opened, the chemical that reacts with ketones may have become less reactive. So ANY change is success.

Shoe Freak Fri, May-28-04 18:54

Well, thank goodness, then!

Cool. That makes me happy. Thanks for answering my question! You wouldn't believe how frustrated I was getting trying to find this answer!

luckyloser Sat, May-29-04 14:48

Where do I buy the ketone sticks?

tomsej Sat, May-29-04 14:57

5 different types of ketones - only one detected

Hi,

One thing you need to keep in mind about ketosis and ketones is that the sticks only detect ONE type - there are 5 different ones the body produce.

You can be in ketosis without the strips turning purple! This happened to me and I rarely get the strips to turn even a slight shade even when I'm eating an induction diet.

Remember the strips are only a tool. These are mainly designed for diabetics! No one designed Ketone sticks for the low-carb dieter in mind.

The diabetic does NOT want to be in ketosis, because diabetes combined with ketosis, leads to ketoacidosis. This CAN"T happen to a non-diabetic on a NON-STARVATION diet.

Good luck!

PS You can get these sticks at pretty well any pharmacy. One brand, Ketostix is made by Bayer. (Reagent Stips for Urinalysis)

When I started 7 years ago, I had to go to about 6 pharmacies to find them. I suggest calling before you go!

Tom.

luckyloser Sat, May-29-04 15:18

Thanks Tomsej! I've tried one pharmacy and didn't know if
they had to be "prescribed" or something. I'm pretty sure
I'm in ketosis, but would like something concrete to confirm.

Shoe Freak Sat, May-29-04 17:13

Where to go...

I get mine at Rite Aid. $14.73 for 50 sticks. Go to the pharmacy desk and ask for them.

geegee4456 Sat, May-29-04 18:16

I read on one thread, can't remember where, sorry. That you can cut them in half and save some money.

tomsej Sun, May-30-04 06:28

Cut in half to save money?

Yes you could. But why? There are 60 in a bottle and unless you are checking 3 times a day, there is no point. I never checked more than once per day when I did, usually in the evenings.

Just be careful not to contaminate them when you cut them. That is, ensure you are using a CLEAN and DRY cutting device.

Notice too that the fore-urine is less concentrated with ketones than aft-urine. I usually wait until the end; also keeps the material from being washed off with excess urine. You'd be fine if you fill-and-dip though. Ensure the container is not contaminated.

Tom

blue4lemon Sun, May-30-04 07:40

I don't waste money on these things. I know I am in ketosis (and you'll notice this in yourself too) because my breath feels "not so fresh", and if I don't drink enough water my urine is POTENT. Also, you can be deep in ketosis and not lose an ounce.

doreen T Sun, May-30-04 10:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsej
The diabetic does NOT want to be in ketosis, because diabetes combined with ketosis, leads to ketoacidosis. This CAN"T happen to a non-diabetic on a NON-STARVATION diet.

Actually, this isn't quite accurate ... ketosis combined with uncontrolled high blood sugars will lead to ketoacidosis. However, a diabetic whose blood sugars are kept low and controlled will have no problems with benign dietary ketosis (BDK).

Doreen