Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   General Low-Carb (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Heavy Cream in Coffee? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=109574)

gracecame Fri, May-30-03 10:51

Heavy Cream in Coffee?

I am so confused about "what" heavy cream is and whether it can be used in coffee.

I use Table Cream, recently renamed coffee cream, I buy it at Save-On and it has 18% BF. What is heavy cream...whipping cream?

I'm going shopping and I want to get the right thing. :)

klawrence Fri, May-30-03 11:12

heavy cream

Heavy Cream or Heavy Whipping Cream is between 36 and 40% butterfat. It's called heavy cream in the US. It sounds like your "coffee cream" is our "light cream" or "half and half" which has too many carbs to use regularly. You'll like the change. It's super-creamy. :)

Iowagirl Fri, May-30-03 15:11

Wait a minute...according to fit day:

half and half - 39 calories, 3 g fat, 1 g carb

heavy cream - 103 calories, 11 g fat, 1 g carb

This is for one fluid oz. - 2 T.

How would half and half have too many carbs?

Lisa N Fri, May-30-03 18:09

Fitday is rounding up to the nearest whole number with the carbs.
According to my Complete Book of Food Counts by Corinne Netzer, 1 cup of half and half has 10.4 grams of carb or 0.65 grams per tablespoon. 1 cup of heavy (whipping) cream has 6.6 grams of carb or 0.4 grams of carb per tablespoon.
If you're only having a couple of tablespoons per day, it won't make much difference. However, if you're using it in a recipe a cup at a time, it does make a difference.
Half and half is half heavy cream, half whole milk and does have a bit more lactose in it than the heavy cream and less fat.
I find the heavy cream useful for keeping my fat percentages up and I have to say that I just plain enjoy the mouth feel of the heavy cream better as well.

Iowagirl Sat, May-31-03 08:16

Got it - thanks!

queenbeear Sat, May-31-03 12:19

I love the whipping cream in my coffee. One question though, isn't it 3 tablespoons = 1 oz? :daizy:

jeanyyy Sat, May-31-03 12:41

I use half & half in my coffee most of the time, as I find the whipping cream (33% here, btw) too greasy - I don't like the film on top of my coffee. I don't think half & half is *forbidden* or anything like that - it's just that whipping cream does have fewer carbs.

wordlady Sun, Jun-01-03 05:25

One reason I love this place is that I seem to CONTINUE, after months and months, to learn something every day.

You guys are wonderful, thank you. :wave: :thup: :thup: :cheer:

Lisa N Sun, Jun-01-03 08:14

Quote:
isn't it 3 tablespoons = 1 oz?

2 tablespoons equal 1 fluid ounce or 30 ml. equal 1 fluid ounce. :)

queenbeear Sun, Jun-01-03 10:25

Thanks Lisa, I'm so easily confused! Must be 3 tsp. = 1 tbsp. Right? Queen Bee :daizy:

Lisa N Sun, Jun-01-03 11:10

Yes! 3 teaspoons equal 1 tablespoon or 1 tsp. equals 5 ml.