Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Crockpot friendly or not? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=268715)

maximus76 Mon, Oct-03-05 19:49

Crockpot friendly or not?

Probably it depends on what you put in there :lol:
But please, advise, what are the low carb meals you can cook in crockpot while on induction period? Or should I get a deep fryer? :yum:

niudog Mon, Oct-03-05 20:09

I cooked pork steaks all night long in my crock pot last night.

I took them out this morning, and they were falling off the bone. I put them in the fridge all day and warmed them up tonight in the oven. Tastey!!!

potatofree Mon, Oct-03-05 20:17

It's great for cheaper cuts of meat, like a chuck roast. I cook mine with salt, pepper, garlic and onion, with a few stalks of celery thrown in. Cauliflower is good, too, and almost tastes like potato when cooked in with the roast.

Lisa N Mon, Oct-03-05 20:23

Nearly any meat (with the possible exception of fish) can go into a crock pot; pork, beef, chicken, turkey. The possiblities are limited only by your imagination. :)
Crock pots are great for cooking inexpensive cuts of meat that would be tough and dry cooked any other way, like a chuck roast. Add whatever seasonings you like and just plug it in to cook while you work.
I also like to use mine to make pulled pork; a pork butt, vinegar and hot sauce cooked slowly all day then shredded. Wonderful served with a side of (low carb) homemade cole slaw. :yum:
Crock pots are also good for simmering soup all day.

Meghan Mon, Oct-03-05 21:05

You can put any kind of meat in there with induction friendly veggies and a little (beef, chicken or veggie stock) and whatever seasonings you like and it is sooo yummy you can also make stews

wordlady Tue, Oct-04-05 08:44

There is a cookbook for cooking low-carb in the crockpot. I've ordered it; waiting for it to come in. I love my crockpot because I'm a morning person, and at 6pm for me it's the end of a very long day and I'd rather have a tooth pulled than cook. This way everybody's happy.

rodmick Tue, Oct-04-05 09:50

I currently have a roast in the crockpot with a packet of kung pow seasoning. Yummers!

ssofian Tue, Oct-04-05 10:14

I make the crockpot roast sticky chicken recipe from these boards at least once a month. DH actually requests it. The skin gets crispy and is all spicey and the bird just literally falls apart because it's so tender. YUMMY. I've also done cornish game hens, beanless chili, seafood and andouille gumbo. All the recipes I've done in the crockpot are induction friendly.

JennLynnRN Tue, Oct-04-05 10:22

Awesome thread......I'm getting a crockpot soon but never really knew what to do with it. I'm excited now...it sounds so convenient!!

vbrowne Tue, Oct-04-05 10:35

Can you post the crockpot sticky chicken recipe?

Thanks.

Vikki

ssofian Tue, Oct-04-05 11:22

Here is the link for the crockpot roast sticky chicken

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=25060

I've used this spice mixture for cornish game hens and think it probably would be really good on tilapia as well.

Also, I use only about 1/2 the salt called for in the recipe, if that. I find that I don't like as much and it doesn't need it.

To me, this tastes easilly good as the roasted chickens at the store you can get already cooked and it lets me adjust the spices to my liking AND I know there's no chance of sugars or anything else bad being added to it.

vbrowne Tue, Oct-04-05 11:35

Thank you very much, I will try this this weekend. I love my crockpot.

Vikki

Bat Spit Tue, Oct-04-05 12:58

Bag of frozen boneless skinless chicken breasts, jar of salsa.
Dump, ingnore.

Seriously, you don't even have to defrost the chicken.
Works with other meat roasts too, but those should be defrosted.

vbrowne Tue, Oct-04-05 13:40

thanks for the idea.

Vikki

arc Tue, Oct-04-05 13:56

Dana Carpenter has an excellent low-carb crockpot cookbook out:

200 Low-Carb Slow Cooker Recipes: Healthy Dinners That Are Ready When You Are!