Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Suggested Ways to Set your Goal Weight... (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=165162)

mb99 Fri, Feb-06-04 23:27

Suggested Ways to Set your Goal Weight...

http://www.halls.md/ideal-weight/body.htm

You enter your basic info and this website will give you a range of different 'ideal weights' based on different formulas.

If you go to the main site www.halls.md it has very interesting graphs on the population spread in America (find out if you are above average weight and BMI for your age and race), as well as pages explaining different 'popular' weight formulas - like 100 pounds for 5ft and 5 pounds more per inch - and what's wrong with them.

Ppl seem to struggle with setting goal weights here and the advice often given is to choose a weight at which you feel comfortable. Fair enough, but I found interesting that this site gives you the weight that overweight ppl set as goal weights, and using other indictators (BMI) it is too low for women and too high for men.

I hope newbies setting goals and those of us re-asseessing them find this useful! Oh and of course remember, none of these calculations is going to be very kind or accurate if you plan to be/are very muscly!!

Peachagirl Sat, Feb-07-04 01:07

Hey MB99!
Thanks for this info--I went and checked the site. Thanks! I think my goal to get down to 115 was not realistic. And guess what, I've been stuck at my current weight for several weeks--so maybe my body knew better than I did! Do you know how much frustration you just lifted from me? Wow! Now I have to re-adjust my thinking--I've arrived! Hurrah!
(Better change my profile, too!)
THANKS!!!!

mb99 Sat, Feb-07-04 08:09

Well, I am very glad that someone found it useful! For me, it just confirmed that my goal weight of 52kg is about right.. I was starting to feel a little insecure becuse of all the girls here taller then my 5ft wanting to be about 100 pounds or 110.. and at the same time, with just 6kg to go, not wanting to lower it!!

diemde Sat, Feb-07-04 09:22

I'm not sure I trust this site. If I use my current weight it gives me one answer, but if I use my starting weight, it gives me a higher answer. So it seems to be assuming that the higher your weight when you start to lose makes a difference on where you "should" land. I used my current weight and it says my goal should be 183. Then when I used my starting weight, it says my goal should be 215.

I figure when I get closer to goal, then I'll judge myself and when it feels right, then I'll be there. :lol:

TarHeel Sat, Feb-07-04 09:44

After reading Dianne's post, I went back and tried it using my current weight. She's right, it gave me a People's Choice Ideal Weight" of 112 the first time, and 115 the second time. I'll go with the 115 since that was my goal weight in my profile anyhow! Perhaps some more mathematical soul will come along and set us straight.

I was also fascinated to discover that MB99 and I are the same height....nice to hear from someone the same height here.

Thanks,

Kay

perbain Sat, Feb-07-04 10:51

I tried ot too. The first time, I put my current 219 lb weight and it gave me a goal of 160. Then I put 160 in and it gave me a goal of 137 which I haven't weighed since I was in 7th grade.

BlitzedAng Sat, Feb-07-04 11:20

Same here, my before weight,it said I should be 146. When I put it current weight it said I should be 138.. I highly doupt I will ever get down to 140,lol

LoCarbnit Sat, Feb-07-04 11:23

If you look closely the website gives 2 weights. The first is what most people with the same current weight you have BELIEVE is their goal weight. The second weight is what drs believe to be a healthy weight for your height and age. The website goes on to say to pick a weight in between the two weights given.
I think the main point of the first weight is that many people believe they should weight ALOT less than they really should. JMO

lamom Sat, Feb-07-04 14:24

Thanks for the site... like the multiple answers...

toning_up Sat, Feb-07-04 14:27

I'm 5 foot 7 and depending on what weight I entered to begin with it gave me anything from 142 down to 120. 120 at my height is a ludicrous suggestion. Well maybe not if I were trying to be a model but a regular me at that weight would look skeletal...yuck.

Dangerous site

rice_boi Sat, Feb-07-04 15:08

Why not just keep losing until you reach your desired shape/figure? It's normal to keep changing your goal weight... everybody is built differently... we all have different bone masses, leanmass/fat ratios, etc

i kept changing my goal since my goal is to get the 4 or 6pack showing again :) had the 4pack at 150lbs before... but aiming for 6 this time... probably going to be at 145lbs...

BOTTOM LINE IS: your goal is to attain the shape or figure you want and feel good about it :D

my goal is to benchpress 200lbs (currently at 170lb bench) and have the 6pack ;) not the keg i used to have

CindyG Sat, Feb-07-04 15:33

Thanks for this link! The people's choice weight for me seems a bit high at 197, but my goal is the high range for my height on BMI weight field, 150. I'd be very happy to end up between those numbers!

smoothblu Sat, Feb-07-04 15:41

It gave me 60lbs different in numbers. Not sure I would rely on this much either. <shrugs>

IdahoSpud Sat, Feb-07-04 15:44

I'm with rice-boi on this one. The scales just provide a hard measurement of what we are really after, whether it's self worth, appearance, better health... whatever. As long as you are in a healthy weight range, why not set your goal where you want it?

Sccuffy Sat, Feb-07-04 16:40

Thanks for posting the web site with the people choice etc, I found it very usefull for see if my goal weight is okay, when I get the my goal weight, only 2 - 3 lbs under the people choice I will re-evluate and see if I feel that I could/would feel better at a lower weight, may 125 even.

Thanks for the link again, it is very helpful.