Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Rib Eye Steak? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=110480)

mom2girls Mon, Jun-02-03 14:48

Rib Eye Steak?

I can't seem to find this on fit day.

Anyone know the calories, fat, protein, etc... for a 6oz rib eye steak, raw, not marinated???

Having it for dinner and want to be able to add it to fitday.
TIA

atiaran Mon, Jun-02-03 14:59

You could use just the steak option - I think Fitday lumps all the types of steak under it.

Coriolis Mon, Jun-02-03 15:01

Unfortunately, I don't know the answer to your question, but your question brings up something I've been wondering about -- I hope you don't mind me asking it in your thread (my question isn't important enough to warrant a new thread). :cool:

Why the "raw" specification. I've seen many meats on fitday with nutritional info listed for raw meats. Wouldn't you want the info for cooked meats?... unless of course you plan to eat it raw... (are you eating it raw? :eek: )

Thanks, and sorry again for the intrusion. ;)

mom2girls Mon, Jun-02-03 15:01

Thanks Atiaran :)

I did that and got 10 pages of steaks, but none that fit the description of rib eye :confused:

Debi Warne Mon, Jun-02-03 15:05

this is for steak lean and fat eaten; I think I'd use it as a guide

Amount Per 6 oz, boneless, cooked
Calories 430.79
Calories from Fat 228.36

% Daily Value *

Total Fat 39%
Saturated Fat 50%
Polyunsaturated Fat 0.924g
Monounsaturated Fat 10.65g
Cholesterol 47%
Sodium 27%
Potassium 18%
Total Carbohydrate 0%
Dietary Fiber 0%
Protein 95%

HTH

Rosebud Mon, Jun-02-03 15:12

Quote:
Originally posted by Coriolis
Unfortunately, I don't know the answer to your question, but your question brings up something I've been wondering about -- I hope you don't mind me asking it in your thread (my question isn't important enough to warrant a new thread). :cool:

Why the "raw" specification. I've seen many meats on fitday with nutritional info listed for raw meats. Wouldn't you want the info for cooked meats?... unless of course you plan to eat it raw... (are you eating it raw? :eek: )

Thanks, and sorry again for the intrusion. ;)

Hi Coriolis, I think it's safest to use the "raw" specification because, that is the most accurate way to weigh it. The weight can vary after its cooked, depending on how long you cook it.

Having said that, Fitday does give info for some cooked meats. Can't remember which offhand, but I always prefer the raw option. ;) (No, not to eat! :D ) For a start if I buy the meat from the supermarket - and I usually do - I already know the weight without having to fiddle around with scales.

HTH!

:rose:Rosebud:rose:

loveydovey Mon, Jun-02-03 15:16

weight of raw meat?

Coriolis,

I've often wondered this too, and the only thing I can think of is that it's easier to figure the weight of raw meat since it's often labeled on the package. After you cook it, the meat might look smaller or weigh differently, but the nutritional content in the meat itself will stay the same (correct me if i'm wrong here, anyone, this is just what i've always assumed). of course, don't forget to add oils and condiments used in cooking to the nutritional value.

loveydovey Mon, Jun-02-03 15:17

there you go! rosebud beat me to it! :D

atiaran Mon, Jun-02-03 15:18

Quote:
I did that and got 10 pages of steaks, but none that fit the description of rib eye

If you go under the Meat category, then click on Beef and page all the way down to the end, there's a listing that says "Steak". I use this whenever I have any kind of steak.

mom2girls Mon, Jun-02-03 16:16

Debi Warne & Atiaran, thanks for the information. VERY helpful :)

Coriolis, :lol: no, I don't eat my meat raw (sushi, yes, but meat no. LOL) I look for the raw, because I think it's more accurate. I then can add what I want to it and know precisely the amounts :rolleyes:

Thanks everyone :wave:

mammoth Mon, Jun-02-03 16:41

Dear Mom2girls:
to find your RIB STEAK on fitday....

Sign On FITDAY...Go to MEAT...
Then BEEF....
Then BEEF STEAK in the alphabetical listing
Then select RIB on the list at the right...

I know, because I eat them alot!

I have become a FITDAY professional...and spend way-too-many waking hours there trying to balance and customize foods!

Big problem is the added SALT they throw in on many items...then you have to customize that item to back out the salt you are not actually using! I don't know why they do that...and..ooooh it makes me mad!

Best to all;
Jake

mom2girls Mon, Jun-02-03 17:02

THANK YOU!!!!

Jake,
Thank you SO much. It worked :eek: I've been doing fitday for awhile, and NO way am I an expert :rolleyes:
You help was MUCH appreciated.
Have a great evening :wave:

Karen Mon, Jun-02-03 18:26

Quote:
After you cook it, the meat might look smaller or weigh differently, but the nutritional content in the meat itself will stay the same (correct me if i'm wrong here, anyone, this is just what i've always assumed).

The fat content will be a little different because some of the fat is released in the cooking.

Rib-eye is also known as Delmonico Steak, Market Steak and Spencer Steak.

Rib-eye...my favourite steak! :yum:

Karen

Coriolis Mon, Jun-02-03 20:47

Quote:
Originally posted by Rosebud
Hi Coriolis, I think it's safest to use the "raw" specification because, that is the most accurate way to weigh it. The weight can vary after its cooked, depending on how long you cook it.

Having said that, Fitday does give info for some cooked meats. Can't remember which offhand, but I always prefer the raw option. ;) (No, not to eat! :D ) For a start if I buy the meat from the supermarket - and I usually do - I already know the weight without having to fiddle around with scales.

HTH!

:rose:Rosebud:rose:

Quote:
Originally posted by loveydovey
Coriolis,

I've often wondered this too, and the only thing I can think of is that it's easier to figure the weight of raw meat since it's often labeled on the package. After you cook it, the meat might look smaller or weigh differently, but the nutritional content in the meat itself will stay the same (correct me if i'm wrong here, anyone, this is just what i've always assumed). of course, don't forget to add oils and condiments used in cooking to the nutritional value.

Ah! Makes perfect sense. Thanks Rosebud and loveydovey! :)