Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Anyone on Induction having Bowel problems? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=146404)

newmom2003 Sun, Nov-02-03 14:05

Anyone on Induction having Bowel problems?

I am on day 5 of induction and its either this diet or the stomach flu becasue i have major diarehea (spelling?) and alot of gas.
Anyone else experience this? If so when does it end???

Tiawyn Sun, Nov-02-03 15:07

are you eating LC candy by any chance? That always gets me.

Also, drastically changing your fiber intake can also mess you up - are you eating a lot more (or less) fiber than before?

MaryToU Sun, Nov-02-03 15:07

Usuaslly the problem run in the other direction, and people get blocked up. Maybe it would be best if you tell us what you are eating, someone may be able to find a cause there. Also when I start drinking a lot of water for the first time, this can have an effect on me.

KDavis Sun, Nov-02-03 15:17

I had trouble in the beginning with a strong case of the Texas Two Step (no disrespect to Texans intended!). I tried EVERYTHING and then got the bright idea to take an Imodium. That was it... no more trouble! Now if I cut back to induction levels and it upsets my system I take one pill and keep moving.

Karla

newmom2003 Sun, Nov-02-03 18:33

Im eating the Atkins Bars and i had 2 of the No carb reese peanut butter cup (not all in the same day) otherwise im just having salad and chicken etc....

Ive been drinking lots of water for a while now so its not that....?????

Lori H Sun, Nov-02-03 18:37

The Atkins bars may be the culprit. Also most people will advise you to avoid these until you are through with induction. Same for the sugar free candies of any kind.

newmom2003 Sun, Nov-02-03 19:59

WHy? If i eat them after induction wont the same thing happen anyway? Im missing something here....whats the difference.
Atkins says advantage bars are ok for phase 1.

Someone please help :yay:

meagan Sun, Nov-02-03 20:10

:roll: It's the Atkins bars...

maryc Sun, Nov-02-03 20:38

THe Atkins bars and the sugar free candies have sugar alcohols in them and that has a tendacy to loosen you up a bit. I had the problem the other way and the bars help me with that. BUt I usually only limit my self to one on the days I do eat them. I don't eat them every day. :)

tofi Sun, Nov-02-03 20:42

The sugar alcohols in the candies especially are powerful LAXATIVES! Watch the serving size and NEVER exceed it.

In my opinion and experience, it is really best to stick with real food from the Induction list. The bars and candy should be a sometime (not daily) treat. I know they say that the bars are OK for Induction but a search of this site will show dozens of threads where people stalled until they stopped the bars and candy.

Psyllium is the cure for both constipation and diarrhea. You can get capsules of psyllium husk powder in most health food stores.

For an article on Sugar Alcohols, go up to the orange strip across the top of this page & click on Low Carb Tips and scroll down.

Tigerchic3 Mon, Nov-10-03 22:30

I had the bowel issue on day 3 or 4 myself. I have a problem with constipation normally anyways. I think alot of it has to do with the Atkins Bar (Endulge). I made the mistake of taking Phillips Chews and had the trots!!!! I also had an Endulge bar and found that it isn't wise during Induction. I know why now.... :(

I just ordered some of that Source Naturals - Psyllium Husk Powder. I hope that will help some of my issues out.

I find that my cravings are getting better. I miss bread and pastas. Does anyone know how to make Low Carb bread without that Atkins Bake Mix? I've been doing a little research and found Almond Flour or Soy Flour lower in carbs. Has anyone used these yet???? Just want to have stuff on hand for the next phases. ;)

Xena2005 Tue, Nov-11-03 00:11

Hey. It may not be the Atkins bars. I don't eat them and I have had diarrhea as well. I am on day 9 and had it from day 2 until day 7 and now am quite regular. I was doing the BFL way of eating and was constantly constipated with the occasional good one! LOL So it's great now that I had diarrhea as it was a kind o a clean out and now things are 'normal'. I think it's just the exra fats in the diet that we are not used to. Everybody is different in the way he handle food in our diets.

DrmCorpMom Tue, Nov-11-03 00:29

It depends on which Atkins bars we are talking about too. There is a huge difference between the Endulge candy bars and the Advantage "meal" bars. The Advantage wrapper that I am looking at now only has 3g of sugar alcohol and a ton of fiber...11g. Thats equal to 21 capsules of Metamucil!!!

On this board, people tend to just say Atkins bars, without specifing which kind.

Jaimie