Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   RickinTN Update!! (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=193384)

RickinTN Wed, Jun-23-04 15:35

RickinTN Update!!

:) Hi guys! Sorry I haven't been around. This has just been a really rough time. I had every intention of getting back on the wagon. But, major things have been happening.

In January, my Aunt's intestines ruptured and poisoned her entire blood system. She wasn't expected to make it. But, after several weeks in the hospital, she did.

Then, in February, my Wife's Grandmother was diagnosed with colon cancer. They removed the cancer succesfully. But, she never fully recovered and died on May 10th.

Then, in March, they found a mass behind Jen's breastbone. So, on March 29th, they removed it. Luckily it wasn't cancer. It was just a lymph node infected with a histo virus, which is treatable with medicine. So, that was no problem.

At the beginning of March, I had some blood in my urine. Thought it was a urinary tract infection. But, there was no infection. The done several test and when I went to the urologist on 3/30, he said he thought I had kidney cancer. So, I had to go into short stay for a procedure to determine if that is what it was or not. They later determined they were 99% sure I had renal cell cancer. So, on 5/6, I had surgery to remove my left kidney and adrenal gland, and had them take my gall bladder while I was at it. It did end up being cancer.

Now, they have my blood to thin. My level is supposed to be at around 2.1 to 2.7 and it is at a 6.0. So, now I am trying to get that under control.

I just started back to work yesterday after 3 months of leave. So, as soon as I can get some money to by decent groceries, I am going to try my best to get back on the diet.

scorpio381 Wed, Jun-23-04 15:43

Welcome back, Rick! I remember you!!

Sounds like your family has had a rough time of it. Hope things are going well now!

Kranti Wed, Jun-23-04 16:18

Hi Rick,

You've been through a lot. I would suggest easing slowly into the program.

Take it easy. Hope you feel better soon.

Take Care
Kranti

RoseTattoo Wed, Jun-23-04 16:18

I remember you, too. So sorry for everything you've been through. If it's ok with you, I'll keep you in my prayers.

KathyD Wed, Jun-23-04 16:29

I remember you and your wife. Hope to see both of you back soon.:thup:

JeannieM Wed, Jun-23-04 16:31

Hi Rick,

So wonderful to see your face again. I'm sorry to hear about your and Jen's health problems. Sounds like you have had more than your share of tough times this year.

Please stick around even if you're not LCing and keep us posted on how you're doing.

Jeannie

saffron28 Thu, Jun-24-04 04:51

Rick so glad to see you back!!! Sorry to hear about all the troubles you and your family have been having. Hope you are all doing better now. Take good care of yourself and I am looking forward to seeing you on the boards again.

Paleoanth Thu, Jun-24-04 05:06

I have often wondered about you and Jeni! I am so glad you have come back.

calico32 Thu, Jun-24-04 07:03

Welcome back! I'm sorry to hear about such a string of unfortunate events. Take care of yourself and your wonderful wife!

Auburn2932 Thu, Jun-24-04 11:27

Rick, so glad your back, I've thought of you often and wondered what happened to you. So sorry to hear of all your troubles, God be with you! 'Glad your back with us.

GrooveJock Thu, Jun-24-04 11:52

Man-what a ride.

Good luck and remember that your health is much more impotant than the diet. Hopefully you can have both.

:)

llabonte Thu, Jun-24-04 12:05

Rick- Glad to see you back. I thought my life has been upsetting. But I guess all one needs to do is sit back and look and you see someone with even bigger burdens to carry. I will keep you and Jen in my prayers and I wish you and Jen a speedy recovery. May the Good Lord Keep you two safe. Lori

black57 Thu, Jun-24-04 13:05

So Sorry to hear this

:there: Oh my gosh, Rick, you have been having some rough times. I am especially sorry to hear that your wife lost her mother. Just concntrate on getting well and healthy. Visit more often. I missed you and your wife's posts. My prayers and warmest wishes go out to you and yours. :there:

Mary

relliott1 Thu, Jun-24-04 13:16

So very sorry to hear about all that has been happening in your family. We will be thinking of you. Please do stick around, even if you aren't doing LC - we miss you around here :)

BlitzedAng Thu, Jun-24-04 13:23

Dear Rick
Welcome back and my prayers go to you and your family.
Take care.
Angel