Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Triple Digits Club (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=49)
-   -   A Low carb sub for rice? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=189214)

Just Dave Fri, Jun-04-04 17:37

A Low carb sub for rice?

You know,
If there is one thing I do miss is rice, I can live the rest of my life without most of the common High carb foods. When I am in LC and am faithful to it, my cravings for them are very little and easily overcome. But not rice, I think its because I really enjoy the texture and am fond of the food. To me there is great enjoyment in a warm bowl of white rice with a pat of butter and salt on it for supper.
So I am looking for a sub, because rice isn't good for me. Do they have a low carb variety, I know there is something called while grain rice, not sure if it has allot of carbs though.
I also heard there is a way to shred coliflower to the size of rice and cook it, and it resembles it allot. Since I love the taste of coliflower, it sounds like a wonderful idea. Has anyone done this? Do you use a special shredder or something? Should you cook it first? LOL, hmmm is it any good ? :)

Any rice like food you might use, I would love to hear about, rice really doesn't have much flavor anyway, so what Im looking for is kind of a rice like feel to add taste too, umm like a pat of butter

BAM0782 Fri, Jun-04-04 18:58

Potato Ricer?

hey, I've never tried it but I know that a lot of LCers use cauliflower to replace potatoes. There is this tool called a potato ricer (you can find it in a kitchen store like Williams Somoma) anyway chef's put cooked potatos in it to mash them to a rice-like consistency. Maybe you could do the same thing with cauliflower.... The ricer looks like a huge garlic press, just so you know..
Lemme know how it turns out if you try it.
BAM

kath310 Fri, Jun-04-04 19:10

I too am a HUGE rice fan!

I asked Karen Barnaby about using the ricer and she suggested not too....what you'll actually get is mashed cauliflower instead. Just quarter the head of cauliflower, cook in boiling water til just firm, not raw/not mush. Drain the cauliflower, let the quarters cool so you can handle them. Grate on a regular box grater. Looks just like rice!

Karen has a great recipe for "cauli-flied rice" that is amazing.....totally hits the spot!!

Hope this helps!!

Lobstergal Fri, Jun-04-04 23:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Dave
I also heard there is a way to shred coliflower to the size of rice and cook it, and it resembles it allot. Since I love the taste of coliflower, it sounds like a wonderful idea. Has anyone done this? Do you use a special shredder or something? Should you cook it first? LOL, hmmm is it any good ?

I believe I saw a *rice* recipe using cauliflower in one of my low carb cookbooks. Since I have little to do this weekend I could look through them and post it when I find it if you'd like.

hummelda Sat, Jun-05-04 06:07

I've used the Cauli-flied Rice recipe with leftover chicken, some veggies and soya sauce -- and voila -- it was tasty!!

Marebear Sat, Jun-05-04 06:10

There are a few lc "rice" recipes here:
Linda's LC Menus and Recipes
I haven't tried them, but have tried other recipes at her site and they are good.

Have fun and enjoy!
Mary

BoogieBlue Sat, Jun-05-04 06:42

Dont forget Maggots and meal worms....fry up just like fried rice...90% protein....Big John

Marebear Sat, Jun-05-04 06:52

Big John - :Puke: :lol:
That is my visual when I don't want to be tempted by sweets - the food covered in maggots - eeewwwwwwwwyyyyyy!!!!!!

TarHeel Sat, Jun-05-04 06:54

Dave: I cut up the cauliflower in smaller chunks, and then use a small food processor to "rice" it. Then either fry it in olive oil or boil, then drain it in a large sieve. I find that not so much of it ends up all over the kitchen floor this way than with hand grating it.

It doesn't taste like rice, but if you like cauliflower (I do), the texture is right.

Kay

fracture Sat, Jun-05-04 07:21

I have also food processed some egg white to the consistancy of rice and used that as a substitute. Not bad if used with some sort of sauce. Actually used it as a sushi rice substitute too.

LizzyMc Sun, Jun-06-04 16:17

Sounds worthy of a try, thanks...