Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Kitchen Talk (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   What do you do with hot dogs? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=362123)

Jman1 Wed, Jan-23-08 09:51

What do you do with hot dogs?

So I've got some hot dogs and some bratwurst and I'm wondering what to do with them. I think I'd like to eat them chopped up and mixed with something -- eggs would work, or maybe some fried onion. I'm just worried that eating them with the fried onion will make me miss the BBQ sauce or ketchup too much. :)

What are your favorite low-carb hot dog dishes?

Jman1 Wed, Jan-23-08 09:54

Ooh, it just occurred to me to google low-carb ketchup and it turns out, it exists! Is this stuff any good?

kellyd23 Wed, Jan-23-08 10:10

The funny thing is you kinda loose the craving for catsup and get the craving for mustard (yum) no carbs.

BetsyJ64 Wed, Jan-23-08 10:17

This was one of the best recipes I came across when starting out last year:

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...highlight=chili

Otherwise, I just like my 'dogs with mustard, LC ketchup, sf relish & sometimes LC BBQ sauce! :)

pennink Wed, Jan-23-08 10:22

uh, they're often loaded with carbs and sodium. I stay away from them.

If you stall after eating them, you'll know why.

Jman1 Wed, Jan-23-08 11:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennink
uh, they're often loaded with carbs and sodium. I stay away from them.

If you stall after eating them, you'll know why.

The ones I have say 1 g of carbs each. I haven't paid any attention to my sodium yet, but I will if I start stalling.

pennink Wed, Jan-23-08 12:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jman1
The ones I have say 1 g of carbs each. I haven't paid any attention to my sodium yet, but I will if I start stalling.

ya, they all do... but the sodium and nitrates make them un-woe-friendly...

Jman1 Wed, Jan-23-08 14:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennink
ya, they all do... but the sodium and nitrates make them un-woe-friendly...

I'm the stubborn type that has to learn everything the hard way. :o Thanks for the warning.

BetsyJ64 Thu, Jan-24-08 05:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jman1
I'm the stubborn type that has to learn everything the hard way. :o Thanks for the warning.

ITA. My motto is "whatever works for you" to make this your own "way of life". :)

Lovimylife Thu, Jan-24-08 12:44

I take some saurkraut on a plate, layer with baby swiss, microwave it and eat it with some good quality mustard.

BluePants Thu, Jan-24-08 20:25

I cook hotdogs and saurkraut and love it. Hebrew National doesn't have any added corn syrup like most hotdogs do Also hot dogs are good with beanless chili.

David_K Thu, Jan-24-08 22:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluePants
I cook hotdogs and saurkraut and love it. Hebrew National doesn't have any added corn syrup like most hotdogs do Also hot dogs are good with beanless chili.

Yeah, I made beanless chili and put it on a hot dog and had a 'beanless, bunless chili dog'. :lol: It was good.

Kristine Sun, Jan-27-08 09:39

I don't worry about the trace carbs in processed meats: I just pair it up with a lower-carb veggie. I like hot dogs with SF ketchup and raw onions. My favorite way of doing sausages is sliced up or removed from casings, sauteed with a few bell peppers, lots of mushrooms, and sometimes a splash of cream to make it gravy-like. :yum:

cartersg1 Sun, Jan-27-08 12:05

If I must have brats, I cook them up with sauerkraut and eat them together. Sometimes, it's just what I want. No one else in the household eats it but me so I have once or twice a year. I sometimes also saute up some peppers and onions as a base, cook up sliced up brats (one or two links at most) and then smother it in some shredded provolone!!! :) YYYUUUUMMM...it's usually summertime when I do it...then settle in for a baseball game on TV if we can't get to the park. Cheers!

Sandollar Sun, Jan-27-08 13:52

Icck. I feed whole hot dogs to the seagulls....

I LOVE Bratwurst...my grocer has one brand that is msg/gluten-free and I cook those babies up and eat them with sour cream and ketchup...or mustard.

My problem is that I can eat 4 at a time...then I get awfully thirsty....