Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Advantage bars on Induction? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=159066)

bzeus Mon, Jan-12-04 22:24

Advantage bars on Induction?

I've heard conflicting reports... is it OK to have Advantage bars on induction? I lost 6 lbs in the first week of induction (started Jan 1) and have not lost since. I looked over my journal of what I've been eating and am wondering if the Advantage bars have stalled my weight loss - I only bought them in my second week.

Any thoughts?

:confused:

LadyBelle Mon, Jan-12-04 22:32

They stall alot of people. Get rid of them.

I save some for emergancies, like mall shopping when no other food is available. Having them extreamly rarely diesn't seem to hurt, but about 99% of posts I see on here are form people saying they stall them. For some people there is no problem

bzeus Tue, Jan-13-04 09:32

Thanks for the confirmation. I'm going to give them up completely for the next week and see how it goes..... I HAVE to drop at least 1 more pound on induction!

:wiggle:

MomSharon Tue, Jan-13-04 09:36

Ditto. Get rid of them, or put them somewhere you won't be tempted by them until you are in the Ongoing Weight Loss phase, then only occasionally as a treat or in an LC emergency .

Sharon

trippledog Tue, Jan-13-04 12:49

I disagree. Carbs are carbs, people. If there are no sugar carbs, you will not "stall". Providing you are watching the carb intake on these items. 4 grams at a time can add up, which is what most of the Advantage bars are...
I used to worry and stress about ketone strips turning purple, and if the sugar free candy was hurting my sucess. Even if you cut your carbs by half of a daily allowance you will lose weight. Just be patient and enjoy the products out there that are meant to help. Diabetics have been using this stuff for years. Some of it has just been packaged recently as "low carb", so we will take notice and buy it. Don't worry, just eat it, stalls are normal no matter what low carb choices you make....press on and you will lose weight........

acey417 Tue, Jan-13-04 12:59

Interesting point of view, Trippledog. Makes me feel better about not being able to get those darn ketostix to turn colors...but...

What about the shakes? Sometimes I get SICK of eating food, and being able to drink something that satisfies is great. Or when I'm out and about or whatever...

And if the ketostix don't turn does that mean I'm not burning fat? Goodness knows the scale hasn't moved, but it's only the first 10 days...

LadyBelle Tue, Jan-13-04 15:54

Quote:
Carbs are carbs, people. If there are no sugar carbs, you will not "stall". Providing you are watching the carb intake on these items. 4 grams at a time can add up, which is what most of the Advantage bars are...

Advantage bars are 4 net, however they are 22 or more total with the glycerine and sugar alcohols. For many people this does effect them.

As for a carb is a carb, that is also untrue and the major basis of Atkins. Low glycemic carbs have less of an impact on gluclose levels, while high glycemic carbs such as sugar and flour have a high impact.

trippledog Tue, Jan-13-04 18:22

I was mearly saying that eating the Atkins bars will not keep you from losing weight. Yes, it might stall you, but that is part of it all anyway. You will have stalls no matter what. That is just the way the body works. If you can't enjoy the products that can help you along, why bother. Cut carbs down, and lose weight. It's not an exact science as many people want to believe. The weight won't come off overnight, but it will come off.

WeeOne Tue, Jan-13-04 18:33

I think that some people eat the bars and candies along with all the other meals and that is why they stall. (Not everyone, we are all different) It's that "eat all you want as long as you eat hardly any carbs mentality" that people get when doing this WOE. You still have to make sure that you are not consuming to many calories and if you are eating all your meals, and then throwing in a low carb bar and candies it could be counter productive. Some have been known to stall when eating these products. I haven't eaten enough of them for me to know how it effects me personally.

Wee

bzeus Thu, Jan-15-04 07:27

Keeping you posted.

Just so you know, I cut out Advantage bars and still cannot lose weight on induction!!!!! How am I ever going to get to OWL much less maintenance if I can't lose on induction!

:cry:

okonkwo Thu, Jan-15-04 07:58

I am in the same boat

I lost 8lbs the first week of induction... but on the second week So far I have not lost a single pound. Like you I used the Advantave bars a few times. in an emergency situation.

Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzeus
I've heard conflicting reports... is it OK to have Advantage bars on induction? I lost 6 lbs in the first week of induction (started Jan 1) and have not lost since. I looked over my journal of what I've been eating and am wondering if the Advantage bars have stalled my weight loss - I only bought them in my second week.

Any thoughts?

:confused:

josiekat Thu, Jan-15-04 08:02

I think for induction......the best bet is to stick to real foods. I understand that the Atkins website lists some of it's products as being ok during induction, but I think you will find more people struggle with them than without them during induction. However, everyone's mileage with them may vary.....there are those that flew through induction using them. My best suggestion is to stick with the induction foods listed in the book and leave the other stuff for when you move to ongoing weight loss.

Wishing you continued success!

OHGal1415 Thu, Jan-15-04 08:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by trippledog
I was mearly saying that eating the Atkins bars will not keep you from losing weight. Yes, it might stall you, but that is part of it all anyway. You will have stalls no matter what. That is just the way the body works. If you can't enjoy the products that can help you along, why bother. Cut carbs down, and lose weight. It's not an exact science as many people want to believe. The weight won't come off overnight, but it will come off.

Simply because the products are NOT REAL FOOD.
I'm not averse to a bar or a shake here and there, maybe once or twice a week, but relying on them as a total meal replacement for days and weeks on end is NOT healthy.

Stick to real, WHOLE foods, folks. Use the bars and shakes for emergencies ONLY. DON'T make them your first choice.

You'll have PLENTY of time to enjoy the products once you get closer to maintenance.