Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Kitchen Talk (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   Brownie recipe calls for flour... (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=131374)

Lilygirl Mon, Aug-18-03 15:26

Brownie recipe calls for flour...

I read a brownie recipe on the inside of the Bakers Unsweetened Chocolate squares box and it calls for 1.5 cups of flour. Does anyone know what you would use as a standard substitute for regular all purpose flour? I have the Zero Carb Baking mix, but it's so expensive, I was hoping there was something else. Can you use Soy Isolate or Whey Isolate? Thanks all!

Lily

Natrushka Mon, Aug-18-03 15:55

You might be able to use the Faux Atkin's Bake Mix - it's in the readers recipe section.

HTH
-Nat

Karen Mon, Aug-18-03 16:11

For low-carb baking, it's better to go with an existing low-carb recipe. Substituting bake mix or something else for flour and Splenda for sugar in a high carb recipe seldom works. Sugar and flour have very unique properties that contribute texture and moistness to baked goods.

I think this recipe is super - Tamarian's Brownies - but I double the cocoa and use almond butter instead of peanut butter in the frosting.

Karen

Lilygirl Mon, Aug-18-03 22:00

Grazie!

Natrushka, thanks for the link to the Faux Bake Mix, I remember reading about it on another post, but forgot about it.

Karen, thanks for the tip that I won't be able to simulate the recipe with other products...saves me lots of hard work, money and frustration! Thanks for the link to the brownies! I'll print that recipe off!

By the way, Karen, I'm not from Vancouver, but have been to your restaurant there a few times. It's one of my husband and my favourite spots. We go to Vancouver frequently to shop and had a very romantic dinner when we'd only been dating a couple of months at just started dating at the Fish House. You are an amazing chef! I just wanted to say that!

Lily

Karen Tue, Aug-19-03 01:19

Why, thank you Lily! :)

Something to tempt you back... we always have a low-carb dessert on the menu...and you might be in town when we have one of our low-carb dinner nights...

Karen

Lilygirl Tue, Aug-19-03 22:38

Oh Karen, your tempting is working!

Hi again Karen!

My husband and I were actually talking this afternoon about excaping for a long weekend in Vancouver soon. We'll definitely be in to the restaurant. I'm looking forward to your LC dessert. When do you have Low-Carb dinner nights? My mouth is watering!

mmmmmmmm!!!

Lily

Karen Wed, Aug-20-03 00:39

Quote:
When do you have Low-Carb dinner nights?

The next one is September 18th and the theme is Eat Local!

Karen

Lilygirl Wed, Aug-20-03 06:31

Good Morning!

Oh, Karen!! That's probably the only weekend coming up that we CANNOT get away :-((( Good friends of ours are getting married on Saturday, September 20th. DANG!

I mentioned to him that you always have a LC dessert on the menu and I think that was even enough of a 'hook' to get him to want to try to come out soon!!

Thanks again for your messages!

Lily

Karen Wed, Aug-20-03 09:16

Quote:
Oh, Karen!! That's probably the only weekend coming up that we CANNOT get away :-(((

There will be more dinners Lilly, so never fear. I post them in the Canada Forum when the menu is set.

Karen

Peterpan Wed, Aug-20-03 14:07

Karen,

In the brownie recipe
what is brown sugar twin ?
I don't remember ever seeing a "fake" brown sugar.