Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Newbies' Questions (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=110)
-   -   Waking up STARVING - what is wrong? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=150898)

Wrkin4Baby Tue, Nov-25-03 07:52

Waking up STARVING - what is wrong?

Is there something wrong with waking up in the morning STARVING for food? This more often than not happens to me. I've been doing a modified Atkins (getting carbs from mabye 1 fruit and day, and some nuts) and yet when I woke up this morning I was starving... is there something wrong with my body? Is my insulin not being controlled?
I'm on 2000mg Metformin/Glucophage a day as well...

4beans4me Tue, Nov-25-03 08:23

Gosh, I would think if you wake up STARVING, then you need to eat... just be wise in your food choices. When I get to the point of starving, I really have to stay focused and grab a portion controlled snack or I will go WAY overboard.

GEMMA70 Tue, Nov-25-03 08:24

are you eating 20g of carbs

Kristine Tue, Nov-25-03 09:04

Hmmm... I know I wake up starving when I've had too many carbs the day (usually night) before.

Have you checked in with your doctor recently? Could your meds be off now that you're LCing?

Kathy54 Tue, Nov-25-03 10:37

Quote:
getting carbs from mabye 1 fruit and day, and some nuts)

Are you not eating Veggies?
If not, you are not getting nearly enough carbs, not just to satisfy your hunger, but that is very unhealthy for you, and won't help with the loss either.
Have you read the whole Atkins book?
What is it that you have Modified?
The other thing is did you eat breakfast before Low carb'n??? IF not maybe you body wants it now, hope it's something as simple as that :)

Cheers Kathy

Wrkin4Baby Tue, Nov-25-03 14:13

No, I do eat breakfast. I try to stay as low-carb as possible, but I'm finding myself really hungry inbetween meals (like right now) and I'm afraid to eat. Help!

lkonzelman Tue, Nov-25-03 14:15

When you are doing your own plan and we don't know what you are actually eating.. then offering help is suspect.

You may want to try an actual plan for a week to see if your cravings disappear. Also, most plans are much healthier since balance has already been worked out.

All the best.

Kristine Tue, Nov-25-03 15:35

Hiya. Have you checked out our "which low carb plan is right for me?" link, over to the right, under "quick links?" It might be helpful to you. :cool: There are plans other than Atkins that might suit you. You also might want to browse the diabetes forum here for ideas on how others are living. :thup: But do keep checking in with your doc. Many diabetics are fortunate enough to stop taking their meds altogether on this way of eating, but it's important to work with your MD.

Good luck!