Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Exercise (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=181470)

Pandora23 Thu, Apr-29-04 11:00

Exercise

Hello everyone! I have a question about what type of exercise would be best for me. I do not want to gain any more muscle, I have been cursed with an extremely muscular build and want to slender down. It is very easy for me to build more muscle too and I dont want to replace what fat I lose with muscle. I hope that makes sense. Basically I want to get smaller and with as easy as it is for me to bulk up what type of exercises should I try and which should I avoid?

strictgirl Thu, Apr-29-04 11:37

I am no exercise expert but walking is great exercise and generally does not bulk up muscles. I go for long distance at a moderate pace.

Also, swimmers bodies are toned but not bulked up with large muscle groups so swimming may work for you. Good Luck.

Nancy LC Thu, Apr-29-04 11:54

I was always struck with how whippy and wiry Yoga devotees are. They seem to have smaller muscles than folks that do weight lifting.

Pandora23 Thu, Apr-29-04 12:19

Thanks guys! I'll give the swimming a try and look into the yoga. I already am doing quite a bit of running and walking. I'm def going to have to cut the running out though because my legs are getting even larger. Yuck!

LucyLucy Thu, Apr-29-04 12:29

Yoga, Pilates, and running!

LL :)

Pandora23 Thu, Apr-29-04 13:18

Won't running build up more leg muscle?

serrelind Thu, Apr-29-04 13:21

I would avoid running and swimming too. Any activity with resistance involved will build up muscle. Try walking at a quick pace (no incline!).

BTW, I too am cursed with huge muscular legs so I wholy symphatize with you.

Serri

Elsah Thu, Apr-29-04 13:50

I would say yoga or pilates would be your best bet. They work on making nice long muscles instead of short bulky ones. Tia chi might be a fun one to take too.

pha1226 Thu, Apr-29-04 14:27

I definitely don't any tendencies toward being muscular but I've noticed my biceps have gotten bigger/more definied from swimming (2x/week with different cardio on alternate days).

LucyLucy Thu, Apr-29-04 15:20

I believe running/jogging will only build up leg muscles if you run, like, 50mph or are the bionic man :)

Have a great day :)

LL

climbergrl Thu, Apr-29-04 15:42

not necessarily true about running building up huge leg muscles....watch any elite marathoner and you will see they do not have huge legs. A sprinter, on the other hand, huge quads!

serrelind Thu, Apr-29-04 17:06

If you run long distance like a marathon runner, the body catabolizes its own muscle tissue.. that's why these runners tend to be thin and wiry. As much as I'd like to reduce my leg muscles, I doubt I have the energy atm to run more than 6 miles at a time lol.

Serri

climbergrl Fri, Apr-30-04 10:32

It's not necessarily that their body catabolizes their muscle tissue, but they (and any endurance athlete) have more of the "Slow-twitch" muscles fibers as opposed to the shorter, "fast twitch" muscle fibers. (Although many elite runners diet down excessively and therefore they do catabolize)

scrapgirl Fri, Apr-30-04 12:41

Pilates, Pilates, Pilates...the Windsor Pilates is the best! It is designed to stretch the muscles and sculpt them...not bulk them up. They compare the results to a dancers body!

Good luck...send me some of that muscle you dont need...I am hitting the gym every morning trying to tone mine!!

Pandora23 Fri, Apr-30-04 12:51

Sure, you can have all the muscle you want. LOL!!! :D I spent my entire life getting teased. 5'5 and 115lbs and I was getting teased because of my legs being so large. Hmmm.... doesn't sound so bad now that I am 138lbs. :) I have decided that I will do yoga in the am and run when I get home from work if it is nice out.... well that is the plan... getting myself up earlier than 6 could be quite the challange. Last summer I ran 4-6 miles a day and dropped about 12 lbs but I was also starving myself. Hopefully I will have a little more energy this time and the runs won't seem so tedious. Thanks everyone for the wonderful suggestions.