Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Introduce Yourself (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Hiya! (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=275587)

katespade Thu, Dec-01-05 06:53

Hiya!

Hi all! I just wanted to introduce myself (hence putting this in the introduction forum). I am just starting Atkins today; however, this is not my first attempt at dieting. I have been around the block a number of times.

I have finally taken control over my eating disorder. I had anorexia in high school and then binge eating disorder for the past year and a half. Well, I have been binge free for several months now and feel that I am finally ready to get rid of the excess weight I put on.

Anways, I have been reading this forum for the past week or two and think it is amazing. I'm really looking forward to reading more and getting advice/support from such a wonderful group of people. :D

Tanyaskees Thu, Dec-01-05 06:55

Hi Kate and welcome!!! Good luck to you!!!

Tanya

Kristine Thu, Dec-01-05 08:54

Hi and welcome. :wave:

Eating low carb has been extremely important to me for escaping EDs. It was a matter of controlling the hypoglycemia and overall poor nutrition that started it all. It sure silenced my brain! I didn't know what to do with it at first. :daze:

Best of luck. :rheart:

bkloots Thu, Dec-01-05 10:51

Hi, Kate. You look mighty cute. Welcome to a good forum.

LC (Atkins) has given me a feeling of control, while enabling me to establish a livable way of eating. I'm at maintenance, committed to a low-carb lifestyle, and totally enjoying myself. That's a lot for a former yo-yo to claim.

Best wishes.
Barbara

katespade Thu, Dec-01-05 12:32

Thanks so much everyone! The support here is going to be a huge part of my success I am sure!

missaec Thu, Dec-01-05 17:49

Hi Kate! I can relate a bit, though not to the same extent. I began developing an eating disorder and then actually talked to my therapist about it and realized that I was definitely developing a problem and needed to do something about it. I would suggest that you MAKE SURE to keep in mind that you must eat if you are hungry. It sounds a bit crazy, but if you are hungry, eat. Eat until you're not hungry and stop. A lot of people are used to low-fat diets where you are hungry all the time and are limiting your intake of food and calories and have a hard time adjusting to a plan that doesn't require that of them.

You will STILL lose weight if you eat. My first go-round I ate like a pig and still lost like crazy. And it is completely possible that in adjusting to the diet you are going to be more hungry in your second or third week than you think you should be. That's perfectly fine and normal. EAT. Just stay under 20 carbs on induction.

I say all this because anyone with a history of eating disorders.. when they diet it is possible to fall back into that pattern without realizing it. Please take care and keep all of this information in consideration and you'll do wonderfully!

Congratulations on joining and I look forward to talking with you more around the forums!