Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   General Low-Carb (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   drinking resevoirs of water, but stix are still dark purple! (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=24672)

Doodle Sat, Nov-03-01 13:39

drinking resevoirs of water, but stix are still dark purple!

So what do you all think? I have read that it is not good to be showing dark purple on the ketostix (next to last colour). But the only time I show any difference is after I work out, treadmill for an hour and weights/body conditioning for half an hour... then the stix go down to "moderate". I swear I am drinking my water. All my adult life I have drunk about 2 litres a day, and I have now upped that to three or sometimes four.
'Nother query. I am eating properly, I haven't cheated once, I don't eat A. sweeteners. I am working out, like I said, for an hour and a half every day, my heart rate monitor says I am burning 600 calories per session... and I am gaining!!! WASSUP!?? Is it muscle? Oh, and I am working out that much because I love it, and it gives me untold energy, and it is pretty much the only time I get alone all day. Thanks... Doods

mum's girl Sat, Nov-03-01 14:03

An answer will come...

Doodle,
I'm unqualified to answer your questions but I'm certain someone can and will. I'm in awe of your exercising regime. I have to force myself to walk! Keep up the great work and you most certainly will be rewarded! And remember that YOU are an inspiration to those of us who are still waiting to lose the first 10 pounds!

mg

doreen T Sat, Nov-03-01 14:07

hi Doodle

Yer liver makes ketones from more than just your body fat that's being burned. Ketones are made from the fat you eat as well. So, if you're measuring after meals, it's likely that the ketones are coming from dietary fat. Better to measure before meals.

The reason the sticks go down when you exercise is because you've used some ketones as fuel, so less to spill over into the urine. Well done!!

Another possibility ... are you carefully measuring the time with a watch?? You take the reading at exactly 15 seconds (or possibly 30, read the label of the brand of sticks you have, and follow the directions exactly). Any reading taken after 15 seconds is false ... the sticks will continue to darken as the chemical reacts to air, and the decomposition of the urine.

Congrats on your success so far!

Doreen

Homegirl Sat, Nov-03-01 19:05

Gaining weight while in Ketosis

I'm not an expert but I would say, just monitor your weight on a daily basis. Could be that you are in the middle of your cycle (as in TOM) and that could account for the weight gain.

If you weigh daily and take measurements you will begin to tell what is actual loss/gain and what is due to cycle and water gain.

IMHO I think all the exercise and staying with the diet is sure to bring success. But remember that not everything comes overnight no matter how much we'd like :D