Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Whipping Cream and Whipped Cream (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=86498)

marlab72 Thu, Feb-13-03 09:13

Whipping Cream and Whipped Cream

I am confused! I have read that some people use Whipping Cream in receipts. Is this the same as Whipped Cream? Where do you find Whipping Cream, is it sweet and is it allowed?

Thank you in advance, this board is so inspiring!
Marla

kmwebb1967 Thu, Feb-13-03 09:17

Whipping cream in unsweetened and comes in liquid form. You can sweeten it with Splenda sweetener and whip it with you mixer to make it thick.

BetsyJane Thu, Feb-13-03 09:25

Does anyone have an idea for making whipping cream hold its whipped form in the fridge for a couple of days?? I whip up a pint of it and by the next day, it's back to liquid in the botton of the bowl! The top part seems to stay whipped pretty well, but the whole bottom liquefys itself! Even though I'd love to sit & eat it all in one sitting, there's no way my stomach would let me! ;)

kmwebb1967 Thu, Feb-13-03 09:28

Hey BetsyJane!

Make it in smaller amounts!!! :p

I generally whip up just an ounce or 2 at a time...usually after dinner when I need something sweet.

BetsyJane Thu, Feb-13-03 09:42

Thanks Kim!! I use my Kitchenaid to whip it up so it's such a hassle to drag it out every time....I have fallen in love with that machine & it SO beats handmixer (& standing there forever waiting for it to whip up!) Maybe I will do it in little batches & freeze the "dollops" - that might work! Hey, it might even taste like ice cream then! (Wishful thinking!)

kmwebb1967 Thu, Feb-13-03 09:47

BetsyJane

Dh bought me one of the wand hand mixers for Christmas and it is invaluable!!!

Frozen...SURE!!! Would be great! Try adding some of the DaVinci sugar free syrups to it...YUMMY TREAT!!!! :p

Yaseruzo~! Thu, Feb-13-03 10:04

Add a little bit of unflavored gelatin to it.

BetsyJane Thu, Feb-13-03 10:36

Kim

Is that mixer the thing Emeril calls the "boat motor"?? :D I have seen those in the stores - how long does it take to whip cream with that?

Karen Thu, Feb-13-03 23:24

This is how you stabilize whipped cream...

For each cup of cream use 1/2 teaspoon plain gelatin and 1 tablespoon cold water.

Soften gelatin by sprinkling it over cold water and letting it sit for for 5 minutes.

Dissolve by placing it in a container over a small pot of simmering water. Or microwave in 5 second increments until melted.

Whip the cream until barely stiff.

Add melted gelatin all at once to cream during whipping.
Stop whipping when cream forms soft peaks.

Or, you can get a whipped cream bomb. I really like the one made by ISI.

Karen

Suzan Fri, Feb-14-03 11:48

I've got one of those Isi whipped cream dispensers. A little bit of money to put out initially but keeps the cream whipped and ready to use and I also think that the cream stays fresher longer....nice to add a bit to a cup of decaf.

Yaseruzo~! Fri, Feb-14-03 12:12

How does that dispenser work? Do you just put the heavy cream in it and out comes whipped cream? If that's what it does, I'm thinking about getting one for myself. Thank you :)