Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   U.K. (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Newbie Induction Question (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=33888)

Daschnook Wed, Feb-13-02 04:15

Newbie Induction Question

Hi

I need some help please.

I have been on induction for a few days now (previously Somersizing) and yesterday felt as though I was over the top carbs-wise so please help me out to see where I went wrong.

Breakfast: decaf coffee: tiny bit of single cream

Lunch: Mozarella and one slice of beef tomato

I waited too long for dinner and here is what happened.

Dinner: Seafood combo (all fresh - no seasoning) mixed mushrooms cooked in butter

sugar free jello - whipping cream and 4 strawberries

1 oz of macadamia nuts

Was I way over the top ...? And if so by how much and how long will that set me back???

Please help.

If I mess up in Induction do I have to re-start the fourteen days from scratch or just keep going and count that in as one bad day in 14?

What have others done and what has been the result?

Thanks for all your help

Daschnook (in a quandry)

Ella Wed, Feb-13-02 05:11

Hiya!

It looks to me that you are not eating enough. You should eat the amount of calories equal to you lbs weight x 10/12 minimum a day. in your case it would be around 1500.

It's very important not to starve yourself. You might want to check other people's journal, just to see that they are eating. I'd recommend Natrushka's journal.

Breakfasts are quite important to kick-start your metabolism. So perhaps you might want to add more food their, after all you need something to keep you going till lunch. If I don't have my breaky I end up snacking a lot throughout a day.

There's a useful site everyone here seems to be using to see how much they eat, it gives breakdown to proteins, fat and carbs. But you might have to adjust some foods. Here's the link
http://www.fitday.com/WebFit/Index.html

good luck!
:wave:

rustpot Wed, Feb-13-02 05:28

Induction

Nothing you do will be the end of the world even if it is not quite by the book. Many keep going at induction levels for longer than the 14 days. After all this is just the start of a permanent change to your eating.

As you are trying to get through the major hurdle of the change over to a new way of eating its not a bad idea to "go by the book" for the first two weeks.

That means NO fruit, NO Jelly even the low sugar variety, No nuts even the lower carb ( by the way I am looking for macadamia nuts. Holland and Barrett don't have them. Any suggestions?).

Also leave out the tomatoes for the moment but add a few back later on.

That being said Atkins is low carb but not necessarily low calorie. You may not be eating enough it is difficult to tell.

Try a site called fitday.com. Many of us do. It is great for counting all the carbs but also how much protein and fat in your daily diet. You will hear it many times.. fat is your friend.

Don't forget to drink loads of water.

Good luck. I am sure we will talk again

Daschnook Wed, Feb-13-02 05:48

Hi Rustpot

I got my macadamia nuts from Tesco online (www.tesco.com) in the baking section.

If I eat bacon and eggs in the morning and some meat or fish in the afternoon and a burger (no bun, etc) in the evening I am more than stuffed. Yesterday the groceries from Tesco arrived with the Jello and the nuts, etc and well...

I think yesterday's problems was not the lack of breakfast but the time difference between lunch and dinner. I got caught up in something and could not get back home....what I should have done was stopped and had a burger (no bun) and then gone home and would have only eaten the shell-fish.

Ya live and learn.

I have the book(s) and will stick with them kuz you are right - this is not a short term diet but a new way of life for me. I like it!

Daschnook

Daschnook Wed, Feb-13-02 05:52

Hi Ella

THANK YOU for the link - that is incredibly helpful. I did not know tomatoes had so many carbs ... eek!

I am now going to the link to tally up my yesterday's intake (*help*) but thanks again for this very useful link.

Daschnook