Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Thyroid Disease (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=76)
-   -   What to do with Symptoms, but normal tests... (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=69794)

TKDbunny Fri, Nov-08-02 11:34

What to do with Symptoms, but normal tests...

I have had hypo symptoms for several years that have gotten significantly worse in the last 10 months. I've had my thyroid tested twice before (the last time was about 2 years ago) and my tests are always normal-- not even borderline just normal. Lately I have been really tired, listless, moody, and I am freezing cold. I've been taking my temps and they range from 97.9 down to 94.5. My mom is extremely hypothyroid (she had to have half her thyroid removed when she was in her thirties). I have a Dr.'s appt right before Thanksgiving and I have requested the tests again. In the likely even that the tests are still normal, what do I do? I have to see a certain Dr. 'cause of my health insurance, so those Dr.'s listed on about.com that are supposed to be good for this stuff are out. Suggestions for how to talk the Dr. into giving me some meds to try?

SlimShAdY Wed, Nov-13-02 05:43

Is it a regular dr or an endocronoligist? Cause if you're not seeing an Endo, ya really should go to one.

And I just went through this kinda crap with my regular dr. and didn't get the help I needed untill I went to an Endo. When they don't take your symptoms seriously in the first place, screw going back to them..go somewhere else. Also "normal" whats a "normal" test result for someoneelse, dosen't mean its "normal" for you....yanno.

I had insurance issues also, you just have to look in the phonebook, or your states website and keep calling and calling dr's offices asking if they take your coverage.... You'll find one eventually. My dr is great and he isn't even on about.com :rolleyes:

giggle4fun Fri, Nov-15-02 14:28

Before you go to the appointment, go to the thyroid site on about.com....my other mecca :) New TSH value ranges just came out and I think they are 2-4 rather than 4-10 and that could make all the difference in how your doctor approaches your treatment. You should also ask for some adrenal testing. It's common for the doctors to skip that part because they only see the extremes (cushings etc) as a problem , but truthfully you can be a little off and feel incredibly terrible. But just keep at it...if your doctor won't help, get copies of your labs and find a doctor who will help...an endo is a good place to start, but you have to be careful because sometimes they are more about the diabetes than the thyroid problems and they shrug off your complaints as if you are being a hypochondriac. You have to find a doctor whos willing to work with you until you FEEL better in real life and not just on paper.

That website also has a Top Doc listing..that worked for me and is worth looking into...Good luck!

TKDbunny Fri, Nov-15-02 14:47

Thanks very much for the advice! Thanks to my lovely HMO it's going to be another 2 weeks before my appointment (I made it 2 weeks ago-- it's just insane!) I'm getting so tired of being TIRED! I have gotten significantly worse since the last time I had my thyroid levels checked 2 years ago, so maybe the tests will show something no doctor can ignore this time :)

SlimShAdY Tue, Nov-19-02 08:27

lol I'm just wondering what an "HMO" is.....

And Good luck with your appointment :roll: