Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Countdowns, Buddies & Challenges (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=106)
-   -   alcohol challenge (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=182084)

HippoGut Sun, May-02-04 21:39

alcohol challenge

I am starting a challenge tomorrow.

They tell me I can not have alcohol on atkins

so tomorrow (I start atkins on saturday) I am challenging myself to stop drinking. I am going from a lot of booze to zero in a day

my challenge is as follows

day 1

1 beer at lunch instead of 2

no cocktail before dinner and half a bottle of wine instead of a whole bottle

day 2 no beer at lunch and no cocktail and half a bottle of wine at dinner

day 3 no beer at lunch no cocktail and no wine at dinner

day 4 no alcohol at all

that gets me to thursday to stop drinking

friday I dont drink

saturday i start atkins

anyone want to accept the challnege?

missaec Sun, May-02-04 23:37

Wow that's a great challenge! I don't drink often or else I'd join you. But I wish you lots of luck! :)

Kristine Mon, May-03-04 10:12

I'm in with you for a while! :thup:

I'm a pretty regular drinker. Sure, it's low carb beer, but it's still not conducive to losing weight and keeping it off.

I'm doing a week of Fat Flush, which is a plan that focuses on being nice to your liver. Not only can you not drink alcohol, but no regular coffee, tea or diet soda! :eek: You're permitted dandelion root tea instead, which is sort of a liver tonic. Blech. It's awful.

I think you'll find giving up the booze - or at least cutting back - will make your weight loss go far better. :thup: Your liver will work more efficiently and you'll be saving a LOT of empty calories. Plus, alcohol messes up your blood sugar and blood sugar control is what Atkins and LCing is all about.

Good luck!

HippoGut Mon, May-03-04 16:26

today I had NO BEER AT LUNCH

I am having HALF A BOTTLE OF WINE WITH DINNER

I will cut the cocktails tomorrow.

Kristine Mon, May-03-04 16:41

Way to go! :thup:

I'm trying to resist the usual Monday Night Boredom that sends BF and I over to the pub. :(

HippoGut Wed, May-05-04 21:30

No alcohol at all tonight and I feel weird. shaking like a leaf can barely type these letters. I made an appointment to attend an AA meeting tomorrow. I do not know if I am an alcoholic as well as a carb addict but it seems likely.

I made it 24 hours now without a drink

Kristine Thu, May-06-04 09:18

Good for you, man. :thup: :thup:

Consider making a doctor's appointment. They can refer you to other community organizations. I'm not dissing AA, but there are other options. The doc might also want to run some liver function tests and other blood work.

You're not alone in this one. If you feel like chatting about it, check out this thread: Red Wine Evening Addiction . The thread is over two years old, but it's still going. There are other alcohol concern threads in the Addiction/Depression forum.

Hang in there. :thup: You're making some positive changes.

Paleoanth Fri, May-07-04 01:39

Hey Hippo. How you feeling? I am in recovery and I think that both going to the doctor and attending an AA meeting are both great ideas.

Just wanted to let you know that you are not alone in this.

Logan Fri, May-07-04 06:18

Good luck with this hippo!

I've got myself on a no alcohol restriction for the next week at least...possibly more depending on how i go. i usually drink once a week or so (few glasses of wine) but it stalls me losing weight so gonna try and be good.

I hope you find some help from AA or your doctor and like with dieting if you slip just pick yourself up and carry on. :)

Logan ~

HippoGut Sat, May-08-04 07:40

3 w/o booze

I am not shaking on day 3 without a drink. I feel better I wake up earlier aleep sounder feel refreshed. I have made 2 AA meetings a day now (8 pm and 5 am) it is very nice. I am learning a lot.

Paleoanth Sat, May-08-04 07:55

Good! AA saved my life. I hope you get as much out of it as I do.

HippoGut Sun, May-09-04 15:49

Baby if you ever wondered
wondered whatever became of me
I'm out low carbing it here in Cincinatti
Cincinatti WKRP

Ok thats not where I am but the tv show is cool

anyway I am day 4 no alcohol or is it day 5 now anyway I have no side effects other than I feel great and just miss the taste.

The AA folks tell me I may have gotten away quick enough to not be alcoholic...they suggest I keep coming back but many of them seem to want me to not talk at the meetings because I suffer no side effects from stopping alcohol other than positive ones.

I am really feeling fine.

Paleoanth Sun, May-09-04 16:02

I am glad you are doing so well! Hey, the only requirement for AA membership is a desire to stop drinking. It doesn't say anything about side effects in that.

I mostly just had cravings come up. I was a high bottom drunk myself-stopped at the age of 21.