Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Newbies' Questions (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=110)
-   -   Weighing In? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=55317)

SummerYet Mon, Aug-12-02 07:25

Weighing In?

Hi!

I was wondering how often everybody weighs in. I am used to weighing in once a week. Now I have been told to weigh in every day to see what affects you. This can be very discouraging with all the fluctuations that can occur. What do all of you do?
Thanks,
~Michelle :dazzle:

greentea Mon, Aug-12-02 12:14

Hi,
Once a month if that! I can't take the ups and downs
on a daily or weekly basis! :(
greentea

shelxland Mon, Aug-12-02 12:22

I try to go a few days between weighing in. I am not patient enough to wait a week. :cool:

Janiceb Mon, Aug-12-02 12:38

I usually weigh once a week but it depends. I avoid weighing the week of my TOM as I always gain a couple of pounds and have decided I don't need that negativity.

SummerYet Mon, Aug-12-02 16:09

Thank you!
I haven't seen anyone who does it every day yet. I may give that up. I never liked it, but I was doing it because I thought I was supposed to. The I considered the weekly one my "official" one.
~Michelle:dazzle:

SooCee Mon, Aug-12-02 18:06

I also do it about once every few days... If you do it every day there will be days when you don't lose, and you were being so good... you could even gain...

SooCee :wave:

lilwannabe Tue, Aug-13-02 03:56

I weigh once a week at the doctors...I measure when I don't show a # loss...this way I don't get discouraged when the numbers on the scales don't go down...because I lose inches.

HSmom Tue, Aug-13-02 10:45

Wow! Who told you to weigh everyday?

Weighing everyday would reinforce a focus on weight and the scale. Weight isn't the best or even a good indication of health. For me, it would reinforce a relationship with food that is obsessive and destructive.

I don't have a scale at home. I only weigh at the gym and I try to go more than a week.

Weights can vary more than 3 pounds in a day.

Janiceb Tue, Aug-13-02 12:15

HSMom, I agree wholeheartedly. In my past "dieting" history I would weigh everyday or even several times a day and if I saw a loss I would feel elated and celebrate, usually with food. If I saw a gain I would feel depressed. Since changing my WOL over a year ago I have really tried to weigh just once a week sometimes even going a couple of weeks between weigh-ins. I think to strive for once a month is best as long as you are committed to this WOE and focused on weight loss.

SummerYet Tue, Aug-13-02 12:27

Re: Wow! Who told you to weigh everyday?

Quote:
Originally posted by HSmom
Wow! Who told you to weigh everyday?

My dear sweet well meaning BF. He has done this 6 months and has lost almost 50 lbs. If you read my other post "Support or Discouragement" you can get the whole story on that whole thing.

I am sticking to 1 time per week.

~Michelle :dazzle:

damaraq Tue, Aug-13-02 21:15

Hi Michelle,

Well I weigh in about 2 x's a week. I have been trying different things...eating different foods at different times of the day and also exercising more and so I have discovered that exercise is my friend (I know everyone has told us this for years!) I seem to do better on the scale when I exercise at least every other day and everyday even better.

My middle of the week weigh in is just a "snapshot" so I know if what I am trying is working...my "official" weigh in is once a week.

kiwi2 Fri, Aug-16-02 09:56

I'm a twice a weeker too - you just never know what funny things might be making you weigh more one day than the next (water, etc.) so I like having two different snapshots in a week to give me a more realistic idea of how things are going.

Good luck!
kiwi2