Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   General Low-Carb (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Green Tea question. Pills vs Liquid (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=184419)

KetoOwnsMe Thu, May-13-04 23:13

Green Tea question. Pills vs Liquid

Hi,

Which would you recommend for the health benefits, help with weight loss/metabolism booster and water retention? (I don't need it for the full feeling or appetite surpressing) Pills or Liquid? Or does it not matter?

If Liquid, does it matter if you get it at a health food store or the grocery store? I would assume getting at a health food store (GNC, VitaminShoppe,etc.) would be better, yes, no?

jjbswest Fri, May-14-04 09:32

green tea

I have been taking green tea capsules for a month now. I am feeling better. As far as capsules or tea, it doesn't matter. I take the capsules cause I don't like the tea form. One capsule of 315mg of green tea is equal to 3 cups of green tea per day. I take one a day. I went to the health store to buy it and they were out of stock, but I asked how much it was and was told $15. I found the same thing at wal mart for around $2. So, definitely wal mart for those. Also, they are pure green tea. The bottle says that you can open the capsule into water and drink as green tea if you want. But, I prefer just to take the capsule. Hope this helps.

Karen___L Sat, May-15-04 07:57

I have heard that the antioxidents in green tea are only available when the tea is brewed. Somthing you might want to consider when making the tea/pill decision.

bevbme Sat, May-15-04 08:19

The Atkins Accel has green tea in it. If you mean a liquid concentrate that you take as drops make sure you can take the taste.

I am drinking green tea now just to be pushing fluids and not drinking coffee. I drink my minumiun water 64oz then have green tea because I enjoy it and I believe it counts towasrd fluids.

jjbswest Sat, May-15-04 09:01

it doesn't matter if it is brewed

It doesn't matter if it is brewed or not. The capsules I have are pure green tea which can be opened and prepared as tea or taken capsule form. The bottle says "Green tea contains polyphenols, which protect cells by destroying free radicals and blocking the formation of toxic compounds. Green tea provides antioxidant protection and health-enhancing properties. For adults, take one capsule daily, preferably with a meal. Capsules may be opened and prepared as tea, or dispersed in any liquid desired."

KetoOwnsMe Mon, May-17-04 23:30

Can anyone recommend any particular brands?

I think I'm going to go with the NOW pills, and I'd like to get the liquid and just drink 1 or 2 cups a day but with all the brands it's just confusing. Lipton for example, I doubt that's one of the best since it's just a regular company..

MammaC Tue, May-18-04 06:49

Does green tea have caffiene? I was under the impression that it didn't, but read on one of these threads where someone said it did. I have thought about drinking it for the health benefits, but don't want to have any caffiene.

jjbswest Tue, May-18-04 08:42

caffeine in green tea capsules

On the above post, the question was asked if green tea had caffeine. On my bottle of Green tea, there is no caffeine. I got it at wal mart where the vitamins and herbal supplements are.

adukart Tue, May-18-04 08:53

This is the dosage that Supplementwatch.com recommends (found in a quote from Karen):

http://www.supplementwatch.com/supa...upplementId=159

Green Tea: Typical dosage recommendations are for 125-500mg/day – preferably of an extract standardized to at least 60% polyphenols and/or EGCG as a marker compound (this should be equivalent to 4-10 cups of brewed green tea).

I believe the reason Walmart is so cheap is because you cannot get the 60% polyphenols from there, that's why I went to GNC and got it for 9.99. (80 % polyphenols)

adukart Tue, May-18-04 08:56

Oh and Yes Green Tea has caffiene (about 1/3 of what coffee has) but the Green Tea Extract does not.

KetoOwnsMe Tue, May-18-04 17:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by adukart
This is the dosage that Supplementwatch.com recommends (found in a quote from Karen):

http://www.supplementwatch.com/supa...upplementId=159

Green Tea: Typical dosage recommendations are for 125-500mg/day – preferably of an extract standardized to at least 60% polyphenols and/or EGCG as a marker compound (this should be equivalent to 4-10 cups of brewed green tea).

I believe the reason Walmart is so cheap is because you cannot get the 60% polyphenols from there, that's why I went to GNC and got it for 9.99. (80 % polyphenols)

Am I missing something cause the products I'm finding don't say anything about that stuff..
The one I was looking at says:
40%catechins

Serving Size: 1 Capsule
Servings Per Container: 100

Amount Per Serving:

Vitamin C 60mg 100%
Green Tea Extract 400mg
(camillia sinensis)(leaf)

Other Ingredients:
Magnesium stearate.

Directions: Take one capsule, 1 to 2 times daily.

I don't care about the vitamin C..

Itty Wed, May-19-04 07:52

Hi

I had a healthwatch one-a-day vitamin with green tea extract, and it makes me so sick that I have come very close to tossing my cookies!

I guess it has a few too many antioxidants for me (I have drank the tea and it does baaaad things).

Maybe I am one big oxidant...? ;)

M

jjbswest Wed, May-19-04 09:46

polyphenols

Mine ( the wal mart one) is 315mg of green tea extract. As for the percentage of polyphenols, the only thing it says is "Each capsule contains the polyphenol catechins of three cups of green tea with less than one fifth the caffeine of one cup." Well, there is the answer for caffeine, I guess.

MammaC Wed, May-19-04 10:03

Thanks for answering my question about the caffiene.

adukart Wed, May-19-04 11:04

Can I ask the brands of what you are taking?