Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Kitchen Talk (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   Avacados- got some/never had them/what to do with them? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=153641)

nursey15 Thu, Dec-11-03 22:05

Avacados- got some/never had them/what to do with them?

they look yucky- picked 2 up on sale after reading they are good to eat on the WOE. I have no idea what to do with them now?

judyr Thu, Dec-11-03 22:43

Avacados are very tasty. Make sure they are ripe but not over ripe. They should be a little firmer than a ripe peach. Slice them for salads or sandwiches. Cut one in half and fill it with tuna salad, or shrimp. If the avacado is overripe, then guacamole is your best bet.

QuickFast Thu, Dec-11-03 23:42

There are so many delicious ways to eat Avacados
I love to just cut them in half, toss some salt on and spoon it right out of the rind.
My wife makes a delicious salad with cubed avacado,
chopped cilantro, onion, tomato, fresh garlic, lemon juice, and olive oil.
There is a little trick to making nice little "cubes"
(not really cubes actually) cut the avacado in half (longways) remove the pit.. then use a knife to score the avacado in a criss cross like pattern (kinda hard to describe) then spoon it out of the rind.. it falls out in nice little pieces.

QuickFast Thu, Dec-11-03 23:55

oh.. try not to judge them too quickly..
It seems like I wasnt that Impressed when I first ate them.. but soon found myself craving them like crazy.
The flavor is very delicate and subtle.

cincin11 Fri, Dec-12-03 08:21

I have always loved guacamole but never bought an avocado until this woe. When I first bought them in the spring and summer they were delicious but the last 2 I bought at Meijers grocery were horrible.They looked bad and were even worse inside. They must be out of season or something. Even though I think they came from Mexico. I am afraid to buy them anymore.

woolina Fri, Dec-12-03 08:34

Took me a while to learn how to buy them at the right "stage"....I had trouble with them at first, but I eat them all the time now. I cut them in half and put a dollop of sour cream in the hole that the pit used to be in and eat them... I also love them in a salad. They have a bit of a nutty flavor to me.... I like the hass (or haas) ones (the little black wrinkly ones), not the huge green ones. once you figure it out, they are soooo worth it...yum yum yum!

GrlyGrl Fri, Dec-12-03 09:31

Avocados with just a bit of salt...

I love sliced avocados with just a little salt sprinkled on top -- good side dish for me!

Here's a tip:
If you buy one that's not ripe enough (really hard -- doesn't give at all when you press your finger against the skin), put it into your flour bin (wash and dry first, of course) or a paper bag for a day. It's ready when you press your finger against it and it is a bit soft.

jedswife Fri, Dec-12-03 14:57

a good tip when making guacamole is to leave the seed in the guacamole bowl - this will keep the guacamole from turning brown and yucky looking.

LadyBelle Sun, Dec-14-03 19:17

I used to mix 1/2 avacado with 1 tbsp whipped cream cheese. Yummy. You can use them in omlettes, guacamole as sugegsted, on hamburgers, basicaly where ever :)

med234 Tue, Dec-16-03 09:38

One of our UK supermarkets (Tesco I think) sells an 'eat me/keep me' pack of 2, one of them helpfully labelled 'keep me'.
That said, avocados in the uk don't have much flavor, and sometimes are bad inside, even when they feel OK outside.
Mashed with a little lemon juice, tabasco and cumin they are usually quite nice.

purrbert Mon, Dec-29-03 16:54

Avocados are like any produce... some are good and some are bad. The bad ones are flavorless or bitter. I recently purchased some at my corner store and they were the best I'd had all year. I could eat them just plain.
My secret ingrediant for my guac is whisteshire sauce.. it really adds a nice tang (along with graited onion, garlic salt & lemon, of course).

med234 Tue, Dec-30-03 06:32

purrbert, did you mean worcestershire sauce?
If not, what is 'whisteshire sauce'?