Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   General Low-Carb (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Yikes! I thought we'd learned this already? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=53739)

delilah Wed, Jul-31-02 22:09

Yikes! I thought we'd learned this already?

I was in the supermarket a few minutes ago and noticed Women's World Weekly had as their "lose 30 pounds in a month!!" diet of the moment: The new grapefruit diet!!

I really wanted to smack my forehead and say "doh!" when I saw that, but I thought people might look at me funny. Seriously, I thought we'd already figured this out already! Especially after the NYTimes article, I was expecting all of the women's magazines to have blazing headlines, "Eat fat! Don't count calories! Lose weight!!"

Of course, some mischievous copy editor may have replaced the issue with one from the late 70's or early 80's, as the cover model did look remarkably like Farrah Fawcett. Big hair and dark, dark tan and all.

:lol:

Misty Thu, Aug-01-02 06:50

That's hilarious. They never will learn, will they? Did you happen to see the cover of Prevention Magazine? This is touted as being a "medical" magazine. The headline on that was "The Ice Cream Diet". I skimmed through it in the grocery store. It was about how eating calcium can help you lose weight. The catch was that the ice creams listed to eat were either low-fat or fat-free.

What really gets me is the headline "Lose 10 pounds in 10 Days". They just don't put this part in the headline "Gain it Back and More, 10 Days Later."

Judi B. Thu, Aug-01-02 08:13

I know!!!

Misty,
I also saw that "Ice Cream" diet on the cover of Prevention Mag. I couldn't believe it! I had always respected that Mag. till now!
Will THEY ever learn?
Judi B.

Kristine Thu, Aug-01-02 08:22

Unfortunately, there's a sucker born every minute. There's also little slowdown to the if-you're-not-a-size-zero-you're-fat attitude among young naive girls. Hence, wacky diets still sell magazines. I think it's pretty pitiful that Prevention started pandering to the unenlightened and the desperate.

mrfreddy Thu, Aug-01-02 09:07

there actually is a solid body of evidence that supports the idea that somehow drinking a lot of milk can lead to weight loss, so maybe that's where the ice cream diet came from?

I know this is contrary to low carb dogma, but in the interest of scientific objectivity, I thought I should mention it.

still, low carbing seems to be working for me, so I'll pass on the milk and the ice cream, and, sadly, the Guinness too, sob sob....

KristiTalm Thu, Aug-01-02 11:49

Eventually.....

The USDA was aware of the fact that the pyramid was out of date in the 90's when they published it. Don't expect the government, medical community and gosh forbid the magazine editors to get this one right for a few more years.

Quote:
What really gets me is the headline "Lose 10 pounds in 10 Days". They just don't put this part in the headline "Gain it Back and More, 10 Days Later."

Misty, that one was great! Gee, I wonder why they always leave that part out? :p

Quote:
still, low carbing seems to be working for me, so I'll pass on the milk and the ice cream, and, sadly, the Guinness too, sob sob....

I agree, the guinness is so much more of a sacrifice than the ice cream and the milk, and it is almost football season! Oh well, better to look good not sipping a guinness than look, and feel, really bad just to be able to have one.

Kristi

vendala Thu, Aug-01-02 11:59

it will be interesting to read the letters to the editor in next month's prevention.
i subscribe and read the article carefully, tried it for a few days and quickly learned that you have to save up a bunch of calories to get that darned ice cream.
fortunately, i was turned on to low carbing shortly afterwards.

vendala

Kristine Thu, Aug-01-02 12:15

Good news, Guinness fans: it's one of the lower carb beers out there. A 12-oz serving has 5.2 g carbs. Not half bad - just remember that it's usually sold by the pint. ;)

mrfreddy Thu, Aug-01-02 13:24

hmmm, so let me try to do some twisted math here... I drink Guinness pints in 20oz imperial pint glasses (at least, I used too...), sometimes 5,6.7 + in a session....

and if there are 5 grams in a 12 oz glass,

that means there's 8.33 grams in a beautiful glorious proper pint....

so, if I work my way through 10 pints, that's only 80 some-odd grams....

so, once I get thru induction, etc. etc. I suppose I could get away with that once in awhile. Might have to back to induction for a few days, but that's no big whup....

Just hope Guinness doesn't fold due to my lack of patrnonage in the meantime!!!

gotta go check your carbo counts, that 5 grams per 12oz sounds mighty suspicous..

Rkhinman Fri, Aug-02-02 14:35

Coors light has >1 gram of carbs

then again, drinking a coors light is probably like drinking urine

:confused: not that I ever drank it.....either

Elihnig Sat, Aug-03-02 05:53

Actually Coor's Light is my husband's preferred beer. You know, he said he might join me in low carbing...after football season. He needs his pizza and chips and beer for that...but in January maybe...I tried to pin him to a date like after our daughter's birthday but he wouldn't commit to that yet!

I think there will always be scam diets for the uninformed, bored, and desperate. Anyone can lose weight in two weeks eating almost any crazy combination of low calorie foods. The trick is to keep it off, and crazy combinations are very poor choices long term.

Elihnig