Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Beginner/Low Intensity (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Veins sticking out? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=186344)

bfdzio Sun, May-23-04 13:43

Veins sticking out?

I just noticed this the other day, never really had seen it before. I looked at my arms, starting below my bicep and travelling down, the veins are sticking out more. Does anyone know the reason for this or why it happens?

They are not sticking out severely that you can feel them, but enough to notice them now.

Built Sun, May-23-04 14:37

Congratulations! This is LEANNESS showing!

Veins are very, very cool!

Chipperoo Sun, May-23-04 15:25

Alright dude! :thup: Gettin' slim, trim, and VASCULAR!

1) Like Built says, you're getting leaner.
2) When you lift weights your veins grow larger to supply more blood to the muscles.

Don't see veins when you're overweight, so YOU'RE WINNING THE BATTLE OF THE BULGE!!!

bfdzio Sun, May-23-04 17:30

Thats good..And here I was hoping my belly fat would be the first to "be all gone"! Oh well!

Chipperoo Sun, May-23-04 17:45

Holy Crap! I hate to be the bearer of bad news but be ready to say "byebye" to EVERY other bit of fat on your body before you say goodbye to the last bit of the ole' belly fat! This is the absolute hardest place for guys built like you and me to lose fat and the last!

mps Sun, May-23-04 18:52

high fat diet

Can anyone think of a scientific reason that eating a low carb diet would make a person more vascular? I mean other than simply increased leanness.
It might be my imagination but I think that within a week of switching to low carb... my veins were more visible.
I'm thinking... fat is broken down into fatty acids and glycerol.... glycerol makes people more vascular (increases blood volume?) I know some bodybuilders take glycerol supplements before a contest for this effect.
I just don't remember exactly how it works... or if a high fat diet could cause it.

Built Sun, May-23-04 19:30

Oh, oh, I think I know this!

Low carbing, especially in the beginning, "dries" you out. Less water = skin closer to the muscle. So you'll notice your veins more.

Chipperoo Sun, May-23-04 19:53

Well, sound's plausible Built, but I wonder why then when I carb-up I've never noticed a change in the appearance of my new-found veins. As matter of fact, last break I took from low carb was for 11 days, and I still never saw a lessening of vascularity.

mps Sun, May-23-04 19:56

ah...

yes.... good point.
I did some reading about glycerol... it apparently attracts water. Since it circulates in blood, it can pull water into your blood and away from skin. (I could'nt find anything about a high fat diet meaning that there is more glycerol in circulation however.)
By the way... Built... your pics are amazing.

Built Sun, May-23-04 19:56

Maybe you need to be SUPER-lean to begin with for this to happen. Also, I understand from the BB boards that vascularity is genetic - some folks just seem to get more vascular than others.

And some folks get killer calves, you little hottie.

;)

Chipperoo Sun, May-23-04 20:20

I wish I were one of the "super lean" ones! Last time I checked was 23% and doubt I've made THAT much progress, as it goes so slowly, though Lord knows I'm dieting my a#% off. This is the first time in my life that I've been this vascular even without having a "pump" and I must say I like it!

Well, thanks about the calves. I shouldn't complain but they are almost a curse. I'm up to 480lbs on standing calf raises, but it is VERY hard on my back and probably compressing a few discs way more than they should be! I've tried one legged to reduce back stress, but doesn't feel right, and seated gives me cramps in my calves nowadays for some reason.

And I thought YOU were the "hottie"! (with the to-die-for abs)

Built Sun, May-23-04 20:33

Oh, it's good to be us!

;)

Chipperoo Sun, May-23-04 20:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Built
Oh, it's good to be us!

;)
:agree::clap: :agree:

bfdzio Sun, May-23-04 21:00

Measuring in a 18% body fat...I look down and I think "Damn...I wonder what this (my stomach) if I lost 15lbs..thus weighing 150. I then remind myself how grossly disportional and unhealthy I would be. The veins showing to me is a sign that fat is still being lost, but I am holding onto my weight at 165-167lbs.

...Time to start investigating into fat burners also!

Built Sun, May-23-04 21:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by mps
yes.... good point.
I did some reading about glycerol... it apparently attracts water. Since it circulates in blood, it can pull water into your blood and away from skin. (I could'nt find anything about a high fat diet meaning that there is more glycerol in circulation however.)
By the way... Built... your pics are amazing.

Thank you sweetie! Yours too!

My husband is a GREAT photographer - he really makes me look good. I am SO keeping him.