Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   South Beach Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=143)
-   -   Hummus Recipes (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=378873)

Kandra Sat, Jul-26-08 19:34

Hummus Recipes

I found some interesting hummus recipes you might enjoy.

Black Bean Hummus
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Ingredients:
* 1 can black beans, drained (15 oz)
* 1/4 cup tahini
* 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
* 1 tablespoon olive oil
* 1/4 tablespoon lime juice
* 1/2 teaspoon cumin
Preparation:
In a food processor, process all ingredients until smooth and creamy. If it is too thick, add half a teaspoon olive oil and a half teaspoon lime water. Serve immediately or store in refrigerator in airtight container.

Low Fat Hummus
Ingredients:
* 1 15 oz can of chickpeas or garbanzo beans, drained (save liquid)
* 1-2 cloves garlic, crushed
* 1 tablespoon lemon juice
* 1 tablespoon tahini, or low fat peanut butter if you prefer (optional, but if you do not use, increase yogurt by 1 TBLS
* 1/2 cup plain yogurt
* 1 teaspoon salt
Preparation:
In a food processor combine beans, tahini (if desired), yogurt, garlic, and lemon juice. Blend well. Add salt and cumin and blend to a smooth and creamy dip.
If your hummus is too thick, add a little bit of the liquid from the chickpeas - about a teaspoon at time. Other ways to thin out hummus is by using warm water or olive oil also.

Sesame-Free Hummus
Ingredients:
* 1 can garbanzo beans/chickepeas
* 1/4 cup olive oil
* 1 tablespoon lemon juice
* 1 teaspoon cumin
Preparation:
In a food processor, blend all ingredients together until smooth and creamy.

Spinach Hummus
Ingredients:
* 1 can garbanzo beans/chickpeas (15 oz), drained
* 1/2 cup fresh spinach, chopped
* 1/4 cup tahini
* 2 tablespoons garlic
* 3 tablespoons lemon juice
* 2 tablespoons olive oil
* 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
Preparation:
In a food processor, process beans, garlic, spinach and olive oil. Add lemon and salt and blend. If spinach hummus is too thick, add 1 tablespoon water until desired consistency. Hummus should be smooth and creamy.
Spinach hummus can be made up to two days in advance. Store in airtight container in the refrigerator. It can be served hot or cold.

Spinach & Feta Hummus

Ingredients:
* 1 can garbanzo beans/chickpeas (15 oz), drained
* 1/2 cup fresh spinach
* 3 oz, crumbled feta cheese
* 1/4 cup olive oil
* 3 tablespoons lemon juice
* 2 tablespoons tahini
* 1/4 cups red pepper flakes
* 1 teaspoon roasted garlic
Preparation:
In a food processor combine, beans, tahini, spinach, garlic, olive oil, and lemon juice. Blend well. Add cheese and red pepper flakes and blend to a smooth and creamy dip.

Spinach and feta hummus can be made up to two days in advance. Store in airtight container in the refrigerator. Spinach and feta hummus can be served hot or cold.

Other recipes were to add one of these: roasted garlic, roasted red peppers, roasted chili peppers, Kalamata olives, or 4 TBS peanut butter instead of tahini.

Rosebud Sat, Jul-26-08 20:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kandra
I found some interesting hummus recipes you might enjoy.

Hi there Kandra,

Where did you find these recipes? If you found them on the net, would you please supply the link(s)? If they are from a recipe book or other publication, I'm afraid we will have to remove them, as per our Kitchen Forum Rules: http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=163693
(While I know this is not the kitchen forum, the same copyright rules apply throughout our forum.)

Thanks for your co-operation.

Rosebud:rose:

Kandra Sat, Jul-26-08 22:11

Hi Rosebud - here's the link http://mideastfood.about.com/od/mid...a/hummus101.htm

Lovimylife Fri, Aug-08-08 08:26

Hi. I am not on SB,but in the past have made some great hummus. I just put a can of rinsed garbanzo beans in a food processor and puree until almost nothing (make sure you drained them well first or it will be runny), add whatever spices you want, I used to add some roasted red peppers from a jar after letting them dry some in a towel, mix all together in the food processor, add some olive oil if you want a little (just makes it a little thinner) and put in fridge overnight. Yummy once all the flavors meld together.

Lovimylife Tue, Aug-12-08 08:55

What do you all eat to dip in your hummus that is SBD phase 2 approved. For phase 1, I would use veggies, but is there something different we can dip into it for phase 2? Thanks.

Judynyc Tue, Aug-12-08 09:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovimylife
What do you all eat to dip in your hummus that is SBD phase 2 approved. For phase 1, I would use veggies, but is there something different we can dip into it for phase 2? Thanks.

I sometimes wil put my hummus in a dish with cut up tomato and cucumbers. :yum:

On phase II, I found that Wasa crispbread with a bit of hummus, is a great snack w/ slices of tomato or cucs or plain. I avoid wheat so I get the rye. I still eat this as a snack!! :yum: :yum: :yum:

This is a key to my long term success...finding foods to eat that really make me happy!! I still eat all the foods I ate to lose my weight and still eat according to the meal plan charts. :idea: :cool: