Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Low-Carb Products (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Tortilla Madness (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=188847)

PilotGal Thu, Jun-03-04 09:08

Tortilla Madness

Recently at the grocers, I stumbled upon low carb tortillas. They're smaller than the average size, and brand name is Buena Vida. They boast 11 net carbs. they're about the size of my hand opened and spread out.

I also bought my kids tortillas. brand: Mi Casa. they boast a hefty 35 net carb count, and they are slightly larger than my hand opened and spread out.

Although I still prefer my bibb lettuce to tortillas, its nice to have a small diversion.

I was wondering if any of you found lower carb tortillas? Please don't suggest bulk grocery shopping, i don't buy in bulk for one person. But would like to know if your grocers stock something lower than what i found.

Thanks in advance.

Vanity3 Thu, Jun-03-04 09:11

Sure, La tortilla Factory brand is only 5 net carbs as well as Mission Brand

Karin289 Thu, Jun-03-04 09:13

La Tortilla Factory tortillas have about 3-4 net carbs per medium-sized tortilla. They're reaching more and more grocery stores and Walmarts, so keep checking if you haven't found them yet.

Mission LC tortillas have 4 net carbs per small tortilla, but they are DELICIOUS. Soft and tasty, just like they're supposed to be. I'm currently very addicted to them. :) Found them at my local grocery store; if your store carries Mission tortillas then you may be getting the LC ones soon.

PilotGal Thu, Jun-03-04 09:16

I found a whole stand of mission tortilla's and they were over 20 net carbs.

haven't heard of la tortilla factory.... will have to find a walmart huh?

MilanoSI Thu, Jun-03-04 09:26

La Tortilla Factory can also be found at Kroger. In fact, my SuperWalmart doesn't carry them.

roadman Thu, Jun-03-04 09:38

I have found La Tortilla Factory at our local Pick n Save(Roundy's) It's usually in the "diet areas"(soy flour, soy noodles, soy chips etc.)

suzanneM Thu, Jun-03-04 09:39

www.latortillafactory.com - I had to order from their site.

MMMmmmm they are good. So good that I'm holding off for a while!

scorpio381 Thu, Jun-03-04 09:42

Here's another thumbs up for Mission low carb tortillas. I found them at Meijer. They taste very "flour-like" as compared to the LaTortilla brand.

skibunnie Thu, Jun-03-04 09:45

I think they taste great. I finally found some in my town, and I absolutely love them!

PilotGal Thu, Jun-03-04 09:45

oh man suzanne, thanks for that link.... i found a store in my neighborhood!!! and the rest of the stores you're all mentioning..... don't exist in florida....

thanks a bunch!

hats off to tortilla's!!!!

lynneuk Thu, Jun-03-04 11:07

The whole wheat Buena Vida tortilla's only have 4 net carbs and they taste so much better than the La Tortilla's.
I love them for wraps for lunch when I just can't face another salad!
Another benefit is that they are only $1.87 at SuperWalmart. Nice that something LC is no more expensive than the regular version.

yoda_san Thu, Jun-03-04 11:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynneuk
The whole wheat Buena Vida tortilla's only have 4 net carbs and they taste so much better than the La Tortilla's.
I love them for wraps for lunch when I just can't face another salad!
Another benefit is that they are only $1.87 at SuperWalmart. Nice that something LC is no more expensive than the regular version.

I think those were the ones I tried and I found them at my Walmart grocery store. Also they did taste better, a friend of mine called the la-tortilla ones "doughy" tasting. That description seemed to fit.

But I am off of them right now. Gave them up with the low carb bread, Atkins candy, Atkins chips, and sugarfree popcicles.

Carmen51 Thu, Jun-03-04 11:26

The only brand I've found here is the La Tortilla - I like the green onion flavor. I've cut them into wedges with a pizza cutter, fried them in olive oil, and used them as 'chips' to dip in salsa. I've also cut them into small strips and fried them to use to top chili.

yoda_san Thu, Jun-03-04 11:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmen51
The only brand I've found here is the La Tortilla - I like the green onion flavor. I've cut them into wedges with a pizza cutter, fried them in olive oil, and used them as 'chips' to dip in salsa. I've also cut them into small strips and fried them to use to top chili.

I made sauceless pizza with them, just a little chewy...

threejs Thu, Jun-03-04 11:52

I like something I found at Acme Grocery, called a low carb Lawash. It is wheat, and tortilla shaped, and only 4 net carbs. It is a bit chewy though. I also have bought the Tortilla Factory tortillas from a natural food store but they want almost 5.00 a package.
THe lawash is only about 2.50