Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Kitchen Talk (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   need to make greek salad dressing, (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=135044)

STALLQUEEN Thu, Sep-04-03 13:33

need to make greek salad dressing,

cant find a recipe, does anyone have one, oil oil and what.

I want the type you get at the souvlaki places.........

fishburg Thu, Sep-04-03 13:54

plain yogurt, olive oil, shedded cuccumbers, and garlic powder, salt and pepper.

Sorry I do not have the amounts - I just eye ball it. I use to make it in 10 gallon container at a Greek Restraunt. (20 yrs ago)

Sentoria Thu, Sep-04-03 14:22

I mix yogurt, a little sourcream, cucumber, garlic and a little dill, salt & pepper. No oil whatsoever :)

gaijingal Thu, Sep-04-03 14:24

Those are recipes for tzatziki (sp?)...salad dressing would be oil, vinegar, lemon juice, salt and pepper, I think.

jmarionw Thu, Sep-04-03 16:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaijingal
Those are recipes for tzatziki (sp?)...salad dressing would be oil, vinegar, lemon juice, salt and pepper, I think.

...don't forget the oregano!

ysabella Thu, Sep-04-03 16:10

Yup

I think the lemon juice and the oregano are both very characteristically Greek things to have in a salad dressing. I think that's the ticket, with your olive oil and whatever else (see gaijingirl's post).

Tzatziki's good too, though! At my favorite Greek restaurant they have a gyros salad, that's a big pile of salad, with tzatziki on it with the meat on top, and the dressing on the side. So, so good!

Karla Thu, Sep-04-03 17:25

Lemon juice, olive oil, and mint make up the dressing recipe in the Greek section in "The Frugal Gourmet Cooks Three Ancient Cuisines" (Greek, Roman, and Chinese). It is very light and delicious on any green salad or just on tomatoes.

Karla

fishburg Fri, Sep-05-03 05:42

You use oil in salad dressings and no oil on the gyros.

tulasgram Fri, Sep-05-03 12:58

I found this recipe on the Epicurious web site and modified it. I served it to my daughter-in-law's mom, who does not low carb, and she loved it. The recipe as I changed it is as follows:

GRILLED CHICKEN WITH GREEK SALAD AND TSATSIKI SAUCE

For tsatsiki sauce
1/2 cucumber, peeled, seeded, and finely chopped (1 cup)
1 cup plain whole-milk yogurt
1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
1 small garlic clove, minced
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 cup chopped fresh mint

For chicken
4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
1 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
2 T olive oil
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper

For Greek salad
1/2 lb romaine, torn into bite-size pieces
1/4 cup loosely packed fresh mint leaves
1 cup cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
1/2 cucumber, peeled, halved lengthwise, seeded, and cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices
1/2 cup pitted Kalamata olives, halved lengthwise
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1/4 cup olive oil

Make tsatsiki sauce:
Purée yogurt, lemon juice, garlic, salt, and pepper in a blender until smooth; add cucumber and mint. Chill, covered, until serving.

For chicken:
Mix lemon juice, oil, salt and pepper. Cook chicken on grill, basting with mixture.

Toss together salad ingredients in a bowl and season with salt and pepper.

Divide salad onto 4 plates, top each with a chicken breast half and drizzle with tsatsiki sauce. Makes 4 servings.

JanaBanana Fri, Sep-05-03 15:03

We make tzatziki sauce with Greek yogurt because it's thicker, and cucumbers have a lot of water. If you can't get that, you can pour plain yogurt into a strainer with a bowl underneath and let it drain in the fridge overnight. The results are a denser, creamier yogurt.

-J

mae_west Tue, Sep-16-03 11:17

Greek food heaven!!!

I love you people!! I love this site!! i was looking for some info on sour cream -for tzatziki- and stumbled into this forum and here is the information that I need!!!

I can't believe i am looking at a WOE that lets me have greek salad (less tomatoes for me as I am going into induction) and greek style chicken!!This is so great.:yay::yay: Thanks everyone!