Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Changs Mongolian Grill (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=135960)

hidees13 Mon, Sep-08-03 21:22

Changs Mongolian Grill

Anybody else have changs mongolian grill around them? Im not sure how far reaching the chain is, it might just be an oregon thing. But its your basic mongolian grill, a bar with all different meats frozen, lots of veggies, noodles and then a whole range of sauce/seasoning choices...

Its one of my favorite places, but i have discovered tonight that its a variable low carb environment. They have Beef, Chicken, Lamb, Turkey, Salmon, Shrimp, Cod,.. i swear they have more meats but i cant remember right now, and then a huge veggie section. Broccoli, cabage, carrots, celery, bean sprouts, mushrooms, onions, water chestnuts, and more i think...

Anyway... I know i probaly ate to much, but everything i chose was an acceptable food and i just used soy sauce as seasoning for mine... It was great.. although, hard to turn down the rice and ice cream you get with your meal..

but i stayed strong.

Anyone else go to mongolian grill style places? I had a pretty big plateful, but it was all meat and veggies...

Just wondering! if you have one near you.. go!

S_Hysmith Mon, Sep-08-03 22:17

Chang's is a treat!

I love to experiment with sauce combinations. My kids just get house sauce, or soy sauce with extra garlic, but I'm the one in there holding up the line as I add a dab of lime, or a splash of sesame oil, trying for just the right combination of aromas. :)

I've found that the combination of bean sprouts and celery shreds more than make up for not filling a bowl with the house noodles.

Be LC-wary when browsing the choices, though. A lot of Mongolian grills have a very sweetened house sauce, and some of them will sprinkle sweetened water over your selection as it's cooking down. All-in-all, it's very possible to eat completely LC at these places, but pay attention to what's going in your bowl!

(Another word of caution--a lot of Mongolian grills are adding Chinese buffets to their offerings. It's hard to know just by sight which sauces are cornstarch-heavy or what meats have been dredged or breaded when they're covered in thick sauce. If you just can't pass by that scent of General Tso's, take just one piece on your plate for the flavor rather than fall off your plan!

Marlaine Mon, Sep-08-03 22:21

We have several Mongolian grills around town and I tried one a couple of months ago for the first time. My bowl was mainly meats with veggies as a 'side' so I know the carb count was very low. Just a very light sprinkle of the soy sauce for me. Loved it. Was delicious.

Marlaine

hidees13 Mon, Sep-08-03 22:34

Yeah, our changs doesnt have a buffet, and i didnt use any house sauces or anything, just soy sauce.. and i saw them filling up their pitchers of water at a sink.. so unless it dispenses sugar water, then i did pretty well.

It was nice to not have to go out of my way eating out to eat low carb...

chysmith Mon, Sep-08-03 22:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_Hysmith
some of them will sprinkle sweetened water over your selection as it's cooking down.

As far as I know, Chang's does not use sweetened water. (Actually, this is from Scott, S_Hysmith. He asked me to add it since he was no longer logged in. :) )

Erick Mon, Sep-08-03 23:25

Mongolian Grills (we call them Mongolian BBQs) are awesome! I've always wondered how many carbs are in the "Spicy BBQ sauce" though. Doesn't taste sweet but you never know...

hidees13 Tue, Sep-09-03 00:28

Yeah, those freakin carbs are sneaky !

serrelind Tue, Sep-09-03 06:59

OMG I LOVE Mongolian Grills!

Does anyone know if there's any in CT?

Wenzday Tue, Sep-09-03 08:47

we have 2 within a mile of our house!!! lol

I LOVE it..its my fave but havent hit one up since started LC....Ihave thought it would be easy to eatr there though and stick to the plan! How do I find out about the spices.. like curry, herbs etc...

skibunnie Tue, Sep-09-03 08:50

Changs in portland? OMG that place is the shit!

serrelind Tue, Sep-09-03 09:03

I just looked at their website. Yup, they only have restaurants in two states currently.. in Oregon and Washington.

Natkins Tue, Sep-09-03 11:45

Oh thanks so much for this thread! I love Mongolian BBQ and never thought about it being a good LC choice, but now I see that it is!
I know where I am going Friday night! :)

atiaran Tue, Sep-09-03 12:04

I love Chang's - the hardest thing to avoid for me is those mu shu pancakes.

RickinTN Tue, Sep-09-03 13:12

Sounds good. Don't think there is one around here

hidees13 Tue, Sep-09-03 18:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by atiaran
I love Chang's - the hardest thing to avoid for me is those mu shu pancakes.

How many carbs do you think those lil things have? i dont really like them that much, but they are so paper thin!... i was wondering how many they could have.