Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Water--friend AND enemy (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=182138)

KnitGirl Mon, May-03-04 08:33

Water--friend AND enemy

Dratted water. I both love and hate the stuff. Imagine my delight when I weighed myself this morning--down 4 pounds! Imagine my horror when I (foolishly) stepped on the scale one hour later--up 5 pounds. I know it's water retention, as this morning my hands have been feeling increasingly fat and bloated. I was naughty this weekend and didn't drink enough water (like none, to be exact) and my body's reaction is to be expected.

I have to drink a ton of water to be successful. I think I understand that now. It's just so weird knowing that I have to have lots of my friend water or it turns into my enemy, resulting in bloating and retention.

*sigh* I just wished I liked H2O. ;)

blue4lemon Mon, May-03-04 12:48

Try adding some lemon juice to it, and maybe a pack of splenda, or making tea (decaf)? Count the carbs in all those though, and try to get to where you can drink water by itself. I have been a "water addict" for 5 years. I never go anywhere without a water bottle, and when I sleep I have it on my night stand.

LucyLucy Mon, May-03-04 13:50

I do great on water during the week because I'm at work and it's easy to just go to the water cooler (on my way to the bathroom!), but weekends can be tough, so I simply fill several LARGE water bottles, chill overnight, put them in my car on Saturday. I have one at the gym (plus more), one more on the way home, another when I'm having coffee later on and reading at Starbucks. For every cup of coffee I have, I made a deal with myself that I also have to have 2 waters. So I get in all my water on the weekend.

If I drink too late at night, I end up having dreams about water leaking on the walls, meaning I have to go to the bathroom (AGAIN!) haha

LL :)

BlitzedAng Mon, May-03-04 13:58

LucyLucy.. LOL, I do that too. 2 cups of water for every cup of coffee.

laureninva Mon, May-03-04 14:45

I think that I am retaining water due to not drinking enough this weekend, combined with too much sodium (I had this faux chinese "rice" last nite and it had soy sauce in it). Anyway, sadly, I was up 1.5 lbs from Friday when I was totally expecting to be down a lb or so. I resumed my normal water intake today and have made a trip to the bathroom almost every hour. Just wondering from your experiences, when you are retaining water, how long does it usually take to lose the water weight again? This is the first time this has happened to me, so I'm just curious. THanks!

blue4lemon Mon, May-03-04 14:57

What is faux chinese rice? Tell me!

Pmizer Mon, May-03-04 15:02

Faux chinese rice?

laureninva Mon, May-03-04 15:13

There is a lady on another board who is an awesome cook, and i really think that she has spent hours upon hours coming up with low carb recipes. Anyway, have any of you had mashed cauliflower? Ruby Tuesday is now offering it as a low carb side, instead of fries or whatever. Anyway, as it turns out, cauliflower is probably the most versatile veggies, because once its cooked it barely has any flavor...almost like tofu...you can make it taste like anything.

Anyway, the recipe calls for a head of raw cauliflower, which you shred with a hand grater. You basically stir fry it in a wok or other large skillet with cooking oil for about 5 min, and add bean sprouts, green onions, whatever you want. Then you can add 1 T of sesame oil, and soy sauce (I started with 26 oz of grated cauliflower, and used approximately 6 T of soy sauce). You can then scramble a couple eggs and add that in as well, like they do with REAL fried rice.

Anyway, believe it or not, it actually has the flavor and texture of fried rice. And for a 1 cup serving, its about 5 carbs total, NOT net.

Most of you can probably figure it out from my post, but if you need the actual recipe, I can ask the lady if she minds that I post it. Or better yet, you can email me at Ltearle~cm-cs.com and I will email you the recipe.

KnitGirl Mon, May-03-04 15:27

Thank goodness I'm not the only one who retains water by not drinking enough of it!

Mashed cauliflower--now that sounds tempting! I have yet to venture into the Recipes section, as I am trying to stay on pure Induction for now, but that faux rice recipe sounds like something I could eat. I would love it if you could post the recipe.