Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   My friend went over to the darkside...WW (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=147917)

Dstar96920 Mon, Nov-10-03 07:00

My friend went over to the darkside...WW

Even after seeing my husband and my incredible success, even after going out to eat with us and seeing how we eat, she signed up with WW yesterday and went to her first meeting. I am happy she is doing something to lose weight, but.....I am worried with all of their LF, carbs are bad crap, we will argue about eating all the time. I can just imagine us eating out together now, my full fat salad dressing, chicken wings, etc. Her vinegar only on her lettuce, jealous of what I can eat. Telling me that I am wrong, etc. Maybe we should skip dinners and just hit the mall or a movie. So sad. :(

gawdess Mon, Nov-10-03 08:10

That is sad. WW might not work for her, she could be back. Stay strong in your path.

Janey Mon, Nov-10-03 08:20

I would hope that your friendship won't suffer just because you eat differently. In fact, maybe eating out together might help her. If she's not seeing the results she wants to on WW, eating with you might convince her that your way is the better way.

adkpam Mon, Nov-10-03 08:49

She has to do what feels right for her. At least she's doing something. And if she has trouble, maybe you can help.

Suzanne Mon, Nov-10-03 08:59

Well, my prediction is that in just a short amount of time WW will be offering some sort of low-carb plan. Mark my words!

Colleen1 Mon, Nov-10-03 09:20

Some people are actually successful on WW. A friend of mine lost all of her extra pounds using their counting points plan. She has been at her goal weight for over a year, maintaining it through counting points and exercising a couple hours a day. That wouldn't work for me, but it is working for her.

hey_Neener Mon, Nov-10-03 10:02

If she's anything like me, she may just be contrary. I didn't like my friend at work pushing the Zone in my face and, even with her success, still won't touch that plan. I am a strong proponent of Atkins, but only if people ask me first.

Let your buddy know you can go out-just like Jack Spratt and his wife- she can eat no fat, and you can eat no lean-between the two of you, you can lick the platter clean!

Lori H Mon, Nov-10-03 10:06

If you have trouble eating out just tell her that everyone has to do what works for them and that is what you are doing. I wish her well...WW didn't work for me long term but maybe it will for her.

sjkling Mon, Nov-10-03 10:12

several years ago, lost some lbs on weight watchers. i have tried it two or three times since then, but had no luck whatsoever. i think that everyone is different and i agree--at least she's doing something! i would guess that as good friends, you'll find a way to respect each other's choices and do what's best for each of you.

beachmum Mon, Nov-10-03 10:13

Sucked in with the hype, and then The Borg has her in its grasp! At some point she'll have to see what horrible bondage she's in and break free. Keep eating together---as long as you don't criticize what she's eating, maybe she won't criticize you. Maybe all those weekly new studies showing that LC is healthy and works will change her mind.

the beachmum
who is a trekkie along with being a star wars fan

GabrielleG Mon, Nov-10-03 10:13

WW worked for me.... at first. I lost about 15 pounds. I was always always hungry so when I finaly did cheat that was the end of the diet. It was like i opened a flood great. Most important of all though is that I was probably about 222 at my lowest on WW after I ended the diet I was about 250 a year and a half later:-(.

Gabrielle

Karen Mon, Nov-10-03 10:18

Quote:
I can just imagine us eating out together now, my full fat salad dressing, chicken wings, etc. Her vinegar only on her lettuce, jealous of what I can eat.
Oops! Don't plan for the worst and just agree to disagree. :)

A lot of folks can't even imagine that they can actually live life without carbage. If it works for them, so be it.

Karen

Maamel Mon, Nov-10-03 10:21

I second what Colleen1 says. My daughter's nursery carer has lost 56 pounds on the WW but then another friend actually gained 20 pounds on WW! The last time I spoke to my friend she had given up in despair and was considering the cabbage soup diet. All you can do is give her a helping hand if and when she gets into trouble!

MaggieP Mon, Nov-10-03 10:29

Ya know, maybe it will work for her. Not everyone is sensitive to carbs, and I think that it is good that at least she is trying something. I know that this WOE works for me, and certainly have been promoting it, but I guess you got to find what works and what plan you can stick to. And hey, if WW doesn't work for her, there is always LC! My thought would be to continue going out to eat. Do your best to resist making comments about your different WOE, because the proof will be in the results. LC is obviously working for you, and she can't fail to notice that!

PurpleStix Mon, Nov-10-03 10:33

What we eat is our own business. It really shouldn't interfere with friendship.

You can look for common ground, like giving preference to real over invented, processed or fake foods. Prefer low glycemic carbs, low trans fatty acids. Limit booze and caffeine.